a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The Function of Infinitive Phrase

yhenry
Expert on Something

The Function of Infinitive Phrase

Postby yhenry » December 25th, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi,

I used to answer questions but this time I have a question for you English experts out there.

My question #1 is about the function of the infinitive phrase that comes right after object.
I know its function can be nominal, adjectival or adverbial.
But, sometimes it is hard for me to identify its function.

Ex. I don't want them to get my recipes. I want you to do this.

Here, 'to get my recipes' is infinitive phrase.
Does it function as modifier modifying 'them', function as object complement or direct object?

If I translate the sentence into Korean, I get this; 나는 그들이 **내 조리법을 갗는것응** 원하지 않아요, which is similar to English sentence pattern of S + V + indirect object + direct object.
나는 (S) 당신이(IO)) 이것 하는것 (DO) 바랍니다 (V)

#2. In 'you are encouraged to report negative side effects', infinitive phrase 'to report' works as object or modifier?

It is translated like this; **나뿐 부작용을 보고하도록** 격려합니다, 부정사구 working as adverbial.

#3. Sorry, we can't afford to give out free toasters anymore.
Does 'to give' work as object?
미안하지만 **공짜로 토스타 주는것은** 더이상 감당할 수 없읍니다.

By answering my questions, you can also learn how to translate infinitive into Korean.

Please give me professional answers. 전문적인 해답을 주십시요.
I am a forever ESL student.

Chris1
Established Presence

Re: The Function of Infinitive Phrase

Postby Chris1 » December 25th, 2008 6:35 pm

yhenry wrote:Ex. I don't want them to get my recipes.

Here, 'to get my recipes' is infinitive phrase.
Does it function as modifier modifying 'them', function as object complement or direct object?

I originally thought that "them" starts off a noun clause acting as a DO. "What don't you want" -> "them to get my recipies". The infinitve phrase then modifies "them."

However, it does not seem to be a noun clause and it appears that the infinitive phrase is an object:

What don't I wan't them to do? -> Get my recipies.

#2. In 'you are encouraged to report negative side effects', infinitive phrase 'to report' works as object or modifier?

Object.

Ask: What are you encouraged to do? = Object
Ask: Why/how/when you are encouraged to do it? = Adverb
Ask: What kind of thing are you encouraged to do (after an object has been defined)? = Adjective

If you can add "in order" before the "to" of an infinitive phrase and it still makes sense, it is 99% an adverbial phrase.

It is translated like this; **나뿐 부작용을 보고하도록** 격려합니다, 부정사구 working as adverbial.

"나쁜 부작용을 보고해 주시기를 요청합니다." 라는 말이 되나요? 그렇다면 이런 경우에는 Object입니다.

Yes-Object. Ask: What can't we afford to do?

Get 40% OFF
yhenry
Expert on Something

Re: The Function of Infinitive Phrase

Postby yhenry » December 26th, 2008 1:14 pm

Chris1 wrote:I originally thought that "them" starts off a noun clause acting as a DO. "What don't you want" -> "them to get my recipes". The infinitive phrase then modifies "them."

Yes, that was what I thought, too; 'them to get my recipe' as a noun phrase and 'them' as the subject of the infinitive phrase 'to get my recipe'.
I am not too sure but I think I have read the same thing an American author of a grammar book said in her book.

However,, when I was in my grade school in Korea, I was taught that the infinitive phrase works as the objective complement, completing the object 'them'.
Like these sentences in the pattern of s+v+o+oc; we consider Pete a good friend. I found the play exciting.

I am sure some ESL students would bring this subject up to you if you would ever get to teach them English one day.
I just wonder how Korean teacher would teach them about this these days.
I guess they are the grader so that any student under them would have to go by their teaching in order to get a good grade.

However, it does not seem to be a noun clause and it appears that the infinitive phrase is an object:
What don't I wan't them to do? -> Get my recipies.

There is one object 'them' there. So if the infinitive phrase is to be another object, it should be the direct object with 'them' as the indirect object, like this; I asked him this question.

Now, we have the three possibilities here, 'them to get my recipe' as a noun phrase with infinitive modifying them, 'them' as direct object and the infinitive as indirect object, and them as indirect object and the infinitive as object complement.

Which is it?

Object.

The problem here is that the sentence is passive with the no show object which is to encourage 'you' if this sentence is turned back to active sentence, like this; they encourage you to report.
So, 'to report' cannot function as an object in that passive sentence.

However, if 'encouraged' is treated as past participle working as 'adjective', then the following infinitive can be adjective complement, a modifier of adjective working as adverbial phrase.

If object, you can translate it using '는것' like this; 보고하는것을(O) 권면합니다(V)
If adjective, use '도록', 보고하도록 요청 됩니다

Yes-Object. Ask: What can't we afford to do?
[/quote]

This one I got confused with this kind of sentence; they were certain to win, infinitive 'to win' working as adjective complement, modifying the adjective 'certain'.

I hope you don't mind answering again.
I am a forever ESL student.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”