Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Translation Practice "전교회장후보"

austinfd
Expert on Something

Translation Practice "전교회장후보"

Postby austinfd » March 12th, 2008 2:28 am

It's election time! My students are campaigning for "president" and "vice-president."

The campaign signs appeared today. Most were handwritten with pictures and glitter, but this boy has gone way above and beyond the call of duty. It really looks exactly like the signs for the presidential candidates. See if you can translate his campaign promises! Not too different from what kids in the States say too.

Or, if it's too small to read, click here

Don't forget about the spoiler tags!

UPDATE: Some are hard to read even in the big picture, so I've typed them out here:
1. 안전한 성북초 (철제 발털이 매트를 예쁜 인조단비 매트를 교체)
2. 방학이 자유로운 성북초 (숙제를 줄이고 자울활동이 많은 방학)
3. 운동하기 좋운 성북초 (자유롭게 뛰아놀 수 있는 분위기와 다양하게 운동할 수 있는 환경 조성)

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » March 14th, 2008 2:35 am

No one interested in translating this one :wink:

OK, I get it.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Enkiae
Been Around a Bit

Postby Enkiae » March 14th, 2008 3:05 am

haha, I like the second promise. These poor kids seem busier during holidays than during normal school days :lol:

But...

[spoiler] I'm terrible at Korean compound words. So I don't really get 인조단비 and 자울활동....

1. Safe Seong Bok Elementary (Will replace iron mats with prettier ???? mats)
2. Freer School Vacations Seong Bok Elementary (Will reduce homework and give a more enjoyable (?) holiday)
3. Athletic Song Bok Elementary (Will promote a playful environment with various physical activities)

It's kind of humbling when you struggle to read something written by children :lol: [/spoiler]

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » March 14th, 2008 4:19 am

UPDATE... Today is the election.

하람's poster disappeared shortly after I took this picture. Apparently he hadn't cleared his promises with the school.

About the mats:
[spoiler]
the 발털이 매트 is really like a shoe cleaner...something you can scrape your shoe against to clean all the mud off

and 인조단비 매트 ... break the word up, 인조 / 단비 and you'll see
[/spoiler]

Anyway, I guess he was told that would cost too much $$ so he had to make a new poster. Now his first promise has something to do with older students helping younger students.

Enkiae
Been Around a Bit

Postby Enkiae » March 14th, 2008 4:38 am

Damn, now I'm actually curious as to who'll win this student election :lol:

Oh I get it

[spoiler] I misread the original poster. It's 인조잔디. I guess something like artificial grass?

Still not sure about 자율생활...is 자율 a conjugated form of 자유(freedom;naturalness)?[/spoiler]

Austin, do you work at a public school?

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » March 14th, 2008 4:46 am

Enkiae wrote:Damn, now I'm actually curious as to who'll win this student election :lol:

Austin, do you work at a public school?

Yes, I'm at a public school. I also have pictures of some of the other campaign signs.. I might post them over the next few days.

[spoiler] I misread the original poster. It's 인조잔디. I guess something like artificial grass?

Still not sure about 자율생활...is 자율 a conjugated form of 자유(freedom;naturalness)?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Doesn't it say 자율활동? 활동 are activities. And yes, I think it is a ㄹ added to conjugate into the future[/spoiler]

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”