Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Learners Block

matinga
New in Town

Learners Block

Postby matinga » May 30th, 2009 2:31 am

I have been studying Korean for almost 6 months now and feel really frustrated @ my progress. I do not have much daily or even weekly speaking practice so my progress has been extremely slow. So far:
1. I watch Korean TV with no subtitles (can hardly understand)
2. I listen to KBS radio while doing house stuff (don't really understand)
3. I do 1 and sometimes 2 kc101 lessons a week (then make notecards and study for the rest of the week....everywhere)
4. I supplement my studies with other language resources
5. My reading and writing are progressing really well

However, when anyone asks me the simplest question in Korean...I can't seem to rearrange the words in my hear head fast enough to understand what they are saying. It is so heart breaking. Why can't I make simple conversation? :cry:

Is anyone out there feeling the same way? do you have any tips and tricks that will help me get rid of this stupid block?
What have your main issues been as you study Korean?

syn70
Been Around a Bit

Postby syn70 » May 30th, 2009 6:31 am

I joined viikii.net and began helping subtitle SBS City Hall. Well, I do not know Korean, but since I began translating the English into Spanish while listening to the Korean phrases the phrases have stuck in my head and I found myself subtitling those phrase with out really paying mind to the English... does that make sense? Maybe you can try writing down what you hear first without looking at subtitles in English. (you can turn off the subs) . Then trying to make sense of what you wrote. Then once you have translated it best of your ability turn the English subtitles back on and replay the video clip. Since English is my second language and Korean is technically my fourth. I totally understand your frustration. I think that listening and writing will help you remember best.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 30th, 2009 7:14 am

Perhaps you are expecting too much of yourself? If you compare what you know now and what you did a few months ago, you might be surprised at how much you have progressed.

I actually find it helpful to leave the english subs on when I watch k-dramas. In that way, I pick up some vocab and grammar patterns. :)

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 30th, 2009 8:49 am

I've been experiencing a bit of this myself. It's frustrating me to hell. For some reason, I've been having trouble simply doing a bit everyday, which is what I originally set out to do, because I find that if you learn a bit everyday, it's better in the longrun. However, I've been busy with so many other things that my Korean isn't going as well as I'd like it to be. It's so frustrating!

Hang in there, though. I think with frequent bits of practice, you can improve. I've been finding that the most frustrating thing with learning another language is that it's a slow process! We often want immediate results, but that's just not going to happen, so we just have to take it bit by bit...

Good luck. We're here to learn together, at least!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

matinga
New in Town

Learner's Block

Postby matinga » June 2nd, 2009 11:50 pm

Thank you so much for your input. I am glad I am not the only one frustrated.

shanshanchua, I must agree. I think I am being a bit impatient but I want to learn Korean so badly that it is hard not to want to speak it, even feebly after 6 whole months.

syn70, I will take your advice and try to write down things I understand. Many times, while listening to Korean, I may understand a word or two but by the time I put those 2 words in context, a whole paragraph has passed me by. So maybe writing things down will help me alot...Thank you

Hey Alexis, I read your blog and find it really interesting. I am super motivated to learn Korean and never skip a day in my studies...which adds to my current frustration. My main problem is that I do not get enough speaking practice (no koreans near by). I also have found it hard to find committed KC101 students to compare notes with. I have played with a couple but they quickly loose interest in their studies and disappear. I will take your advice though and try to be more patient.

Do you have study habits or tricks that help you see your progress? What is your study routine? Do you get to practice with native Koreans?

Alexis
Expert on Something

Re: Learner's Block

Postby Alexis » June 10th, 2009 5:45 am

matinga wrote:Hey Alexis, I read your blog and find it really interesting. I am super motivated to learn Korean and never skip a day in my studies...which adds to my current frustration. My main problem is that I do not get enough speaking practice (no koreans near by). I also have found it hard to find committed KC101 students to compare notes with. I have played with a couple but they quickly loose interest in their studies and disappear. I will take your advice though and try to be more patient.

Do you have study habits or tricks that help you see your progress? What is your study routine? Do you get to practice with native Koreans?

^_^ Thanks for checking out my blog! I appreciate it!

I don't really have any tips, as I haven't really been studying Korean for that long, myself. And sadly, I've fallen out of my routine, as I've been so busy trying to just... get a job that gives me money! However I do try to listen to at least one podcast everyday... just to refresh my memory. ^_^
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”