Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Learning by Translating

cheri
Expert on Something

Postby cheri » February 14th, 2009 4:22 am

Only problem is with the second sentence, in passive voice.
Translation of passive voice into Korean is kinda awkward.
But, if you change passive to active, you have no problem.
Among other exciting events, he was being interviewed on television.
==> Among other exciting events, a TV reporter interviewed him.
다른 신난 행사 중에 (하나로) 티비 기자가 그 할아버지를 회견했읍니다

1. If you telling this joke to an elder, you need to use honorifics. If not, need not.
2. both
3. How can he walk better than 100 years ago?

Thanks ^^
3- 100년 전에 아기였으니깐요. 그때 기지도 못했어요. ㅎ
Or technically, depending on the exact time of his birth... maybe he wasn't even born yet. Er, lame... :lol:
Attempts to blog in Korean^^
http://cheripracticeskorean.blogspot.com/

Ramblings about things related to (and sometimes not related to) Korea..usually this translates to FOOD^^
http://seoulberry.blogspot.com

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 22nd, 2009 2:38 pm

After a day full of accidents and mistakes, my coworker had had it. "Why," she cried out in exasperation, "do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?!"

Try this one.
I am a forever ESL student.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » February 22nd, 2009 4:03 pm

yhenry wrote:After a day full of accidents and mistakes, my coworker had had it. "Why," she cried out in exasperation, "do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?!"

Here's my go...

[spoiler]
사고와 틀림 기득한 하루종일후 내 동료는 질렸다. 바보 사람한테 같은 늘 생긴 일은 도대체 왜 나한테도 계속 생기냐고 격분하여 소리 쳤다[/spoiler]

In the future, maybe these little quizzes could be separate threads? That way it makes it easy to go back and find new ones or review old ones.

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 23rd, 2009 12:43 pm

austinfd wrote:
yhenry wrote:After a day full of accidents and mistakes, my coworker had had it. "Why," she cried out in exasperation, "do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?!"

Here's my go...

[spoiler]
사고와 틀림 기득한 하루종일후 내 동료는 질렸다. 바보 사람한테 같은 늘 생긴 일은 도대체 왜 나한테도 계속 생기냐고 격분하여 소리 쳤다[/spoiler]

In the future, maybe these little quizzes could be separate threads? That way it makes it easy to go back and find new ones or review old ones.

사고와 *틀림=> (실수로) 기득한 하루가 *종일 (지난후) 내 (직장) 동료는 질렸다
사고와 실수로 기득한 하루가 지난후 내 직장 동료는 질렸다
or,사고와 실수로 점철된 하루가 지난후 내 직장 동료는 질려 버렸다
For your vocabulary increase;
*점철되다;dotted with , smeared with
그곳엔 인가가 점철해 있다The place is dotted with houses.:

**질려 버렸다= 질리다 (main verb) +버렸다(assisting verb, finished/done), like sick + tired
We love to use double verbs to add more to make a simple action enhanced.
The double verb works just like English expression of sick and tired, been and done, help prevent, or like see through, help out, eat up, etc.
eat up=> 먹어 치워

Why," she cried out in exasperation, "do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?!
(바보 사람한테 같은 늘 생긴 일은, subject) (도대체 왜 나한테도 계속 생기냐고) (격분하여 소리 쳤다)
==>바보 같은 사람한테 생기는 일이 things that happen to stupid people
생긴: past ,생기는:present
일은 has comparison connotation in it and not fit for this simple statement.

도대체 (why) 왜 나한테도 to me 계속 keep 생기냐고 happening ; keep happening to me?
Here you find the common case of double verb in both English and Korean
keep happening = 계속(해서) 생기냐고

격분하여verb 소리 쳤다verb
Good job; you used the double verbs to convey the thoughts from a verb 'cried out and a preposition 'in in exasperation'.

I found out that we Koreans have trouble using English preposition phrase because we do not use much of it having to do with actions.
We have very simple way to convert any noun into verb, by adding suffixes, and instead of making a prepositional phrase and use it to modify verb, adding more thought to action, we utilize the double verb system habitually.
That is why we add more or different words from the original text to translate a simple prepositional phrase.

If you think it is kind of odd, you should also think of the other side of coin, that is, the side of ESL people like we Koreans.
We also feel funny, if not difficulty, using those simple prepositional phrase for our thoughts of double verb situation.

Basically speaking, we feel the pain you feel when it comes to converting thoughts into other language, that is, Korean to English.

That is only my take and my case even though I used 'we'.
What do you think?
I am a forever ESL student.

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”