Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

All about Korean/Chinese

Aline
New in Town

Postby Aline » September 13th, 2007 11:11 am

Thank you for your answers.

I understand th reasons why you don't put the hanjas in the pdf.

I haven't got any english/korean dictionnary yet. That's ok, I'll search ressources and after may be post the hanjas here.
Well, it seems there aren't many people interested in Hanjas for the moment anyway. :cry:

피터스
New in Town

Postby 피터스 » November 8th, 2007 5:06 am

안녕하세요(安寧하세요):

전화、でんわ、电话、電話

도서관、としょかん、图书馆、圖書館

Are these examples of what you were looking for?
마크 피터스

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » November 15th, 2007 9:03 am

Here's what Max contributed in the comment to the Pilot lesson 3

For those interested, the 한자 for some words:

不动产/不動産 - real estate agent, 车道/車道 for road, and 人道 for sidewalk/footpath.

The first is simplified, the second is complex.

It’s funny that 人道/인두/”way of the people” means “humanity” in Chinese, but sidewalk/footpath in Korean. I guess in Chinese the way of the people is a philosophy, while in Korean it’s a physical place where people walk.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » November 16th, 2007 1:02 pm

It just occured to me that if you put a 天 in the middle of 人道, you get 人天道, or Nintendo, one of Japan's most famous exports!

피터스
New in Town

Postby 피터스 » December 1st, 2007 11:10 pm

maxiewawa wrote:It just occured to me that if you put a 天 in the middle of 人道, you get 人天道, or Nintendo, one of Japan's most famous exports!

任天堂
마크 피터스

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » December 2nd, 2007 2:28 am

:( I read somewhere that it was 人天道 but I guess it was wrong.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » January 13th, 2008 4:31 am

I've got a book that might be very helpful to you. It's called Chinese Characters: a Radical Approach by James C. Whitlock. It first introduces all the radicals used in hanja, then all the hanja used in Korean words organized by [1] Korean order [2] pinyin [3]Chinese dictionary order and [4]English meaning. Next it has a vocabulary section that is organized in all the different ways as for the hanja section. It's really great and would really help someone like you who already has a knowledge of Chinese or Japanese.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 17th, 2008 12:58 pm

In today's lesson, A misunderstanding, the hosts talk about a 오해... 误会. Pronounce both syllables with a falling intonation, and you have something very similar to the Chinese 误会, or "misunderstanding".

http://www.dict.cn/search/?q=%CE%F3%BB%E1

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » January 18th, 2008 1:48 am

yea! hyunwoo (who studies Chinese) said that Chinese is easy for Koreans to learn because of the sheer amount of vocabulary that is similar.

Maxie, did you recognize the word simply from the Korean? or did you have to have the English to make the correlation.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » January 18th, 2008 4:57 am

My girlfriend told me what 오해 meant while I was listening to the lesson, and then that little lightbulb went off in my head! Other words in Chinese with 误 include 误解,and 错误.

I'd say that what you mentioned goes both ways, 키스씨, Chinese speakers/readers find Korean quite easy, since so many of the words are similar. This is one of the main reasons I was agitating for Hanja in the pdfs: it's such a big help for Chinese speakers (readers!) like me.

And as for Koreans learning Chinese, more than half of the people in my Chinese class are Korean! Having so many Koreans around me is actually one of the reasons I'm so keen on the Korean language.

Believe it or not, the most common greeting at the Chinese For Foreigners department of my university is 안녕, even among non-Korean people. Even more common than "hello"! So much for English being Lingua Franca![/b]

tormsen
Been Around a Bit

Postby tormsen » February 5th, 2008 1:40 am

steved wrote:I took about a year of beginner Chinese in college and all they taught was the simplified versions so I had to relearn some but that wasn't too bad. Now I just have to try and remember them all over again. :) (My Chinese on the otherhand is completely gone :( .)

I hear you on that. I took three years of Chinese at university, but its all 없어졌어요. I've been in Korea for eight months and just learning by myself using mainly internet resources and my friends and students, and my Korean is much better than my Chinese.

IJN_Akagi
New in Town

Postby IJN_Akagi » July 26th, 2009 1:32 am

Last edited by IJN_Akagi on December 13th, 2009 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

IJN_Akagi
New in Town

Actually

Postby IJN_Akagi » July 26th, 2009 1:40 am

Most of Sino-Vocabularies written on this picture cannot be Mandarin Chinese. Actually, we can say it's almost sino-Japanese.

kizzozzo
New in Town

Postby kizzozzo » August 13th, 2009 3:39 am

IJN_Akagi> Which words are from Japan-made chinese words in this picture? Can you
point out exactly? It seemed to me you don't have much knowledge about Classical chinese. I recommend you without bibliographical evidence do not say such a thing easily.

秋夕:Korean traditional festival not in Japan
名畵:求<名畫>登蘭竹。
永遠:將以頒諸中外。傳諸<永遠>
最初:若其<最初>發跡之地
唯一:<唯一>面得通於陸
愛情:夫骨肉親愛情之所鐘。
名畵:功<名畫>餠若爲顏。
當當:必於<當當>來世
追憶:卽今<追憶>渾如夢
熱愛:醉顏生<熱愛>松風
書面:見稱爲祖。<書面>稱大父
離別:人間離別始應休
感動:是其<感動>于人者實深以廣
人波:而若使遇三代之<人波>斯之胡而矚之。
抒情:擬作詞以<抒情>兮

이것 저것 and 这个 那个 have no relation. 个is simplified version of 個 and
it's Korean equivalent is 個(개). like 한 개 두 개.
And Korean is NEVER official DIALECT of china. The term <dialect> means both language related genetic. Regional language such as Cantonese or Minmanese are considered as <chinese dialect>, but Korean is no relationship with
Chinese except for its loanwords.
It's not dialect but regional language or minor language of China, because ethnic Korean are living in Yianbian, Northern-east region of China, and they consists one of the 55 minority ethnic group in People's republic of China.
Chinese belong to Sino-Tibetan language
family, and its closer linguistic relatives are Burmese,Tibetan. on the other hand
Korean considered language Isolates now. Some scolars said it belongs Altaic language family, but cognates not found. Especially Korean much resembles with Japanese in grammar, but it also not found basic cognates.

IJN_Akagi
New in Town

Postby IJN_Akagi » December 13th, 2009 8:07 am

kizzozzo wrote:IJN_Akagi> Which words are from Japan-made chinese words in this picture? Can you
point out exactly? It seemed to me you don't have much knowledge about Classical chinese. I recommend you without bibliographical evidence do not say such a thing easily.

秋夕:Korean traditional festival not in Japan
名畵:求<名畫>登蘭竹。
永遠:將以頒諸中外。傳諸<永遠>
最初:若其<最初>發跡之地
唯一:<唯一>面得通於陸
愛情:夫骨肉親愛情之所鐘。
名畵:功<名畫>餠若爲顏。
當當:必於<當當>來世
追憶:卽今<追憶>渾如夢
熱愛:醉顏生<熱愛>松風
書面:見稱爲祖。<書面>稱大父
離別:人間離別始應休
感動:是其<感動>于人者實深以廣
人波:而若使遇三代之<人波>斯之胡而矚之。
抒情:擬作詞以<抒情>兮

(中略…)

Ah... I got a mistake a little
That picture cannot explain many sino-Korean words borrowed from Japanese.

Just like 永遠(Eternity)、愉快(delightfulness)、無敵(Invincible)、未来(Future)、世界(World)…etc...
Those words can be said to be from Classical Chinese(or 古文(kobun)), shared among CJK(中国、日本、韓国)

On the other hand, most of the Sino-vocabulary words to describe things from Western World(西欧世界), are made in Japan, since 19th~20th century.
For Example...

刑法(criminal law), 立憲政治(Constitutional Government), 自動車(Automobile), 資本(Capital(economy term)), 株式会社(joint-stock corporation ), 防空(Anti-Air), 国民(People in the Nation), 積分(Integral(Math)), 関税(Tariff), 駆逐艦(Naval Destroyer)....etc

Maybe many newspaper articles,....

...and this picture can be more better examples

Source: 日本機械学会(Japanese Society of Mechanical Engineers) Homepage
www.jsme.or.jp

Let's see...

機械(Machine)、流体力学(Hydrodynamics)、製品(product)、技術者(technician)、資格(qualification)、認証(certification)、産業(industry)、工業(exploit)、効率(efficiency)、性能(efficiency, performance)、安全性(safety)、社団法人(corporation),

流体力学、社団法人… Those words are hard to be from Classical Chinese, right? Because those conceptions are imported from Western world...

Those words are also included into Korean vocabulary.
Just it's the matter of either 新字体(Simplified Kanji in Japan), or 正字體(traditional hanja in Korea(and Taiwan))... and the matter of pronounciation.

(結論 is... many words to explain conceptions originally created in Eastern world, are from Chinese,
and many words to explain conceptions imported from Western world in modern age, are created by Japan, using Sino-Characters...)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”