a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korea and foreigners.

oomanyeeoo9541
New in Town

Korea and foreigners.

Postby oomanyeeoo9541 » June 2nd, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi,

This is my first post here and I don't want to be banned from this website. I know that what I am about to say won't please some people but I just want to discuss about Korean people and foreigners.

I love that country. I've been there once and will go back there this summer for a month even if I heard horrible things about Korean's culture/behaviour towards foreigners..

There is a video/interview broadcasted on MBC about foreigners which are defined as "sexual predators".
Here is the link http://youtube.com/watch?v=nsNHYYrvMrk
I don't know if you have seen that.. But I didn't really like how they introduced and talked about foreigners in this video. They are assuming that korean girls are all innocents as they are ALL victims of American male. I am not saying that it isn't true but we can't blame only the American boys.

I have many more examples about racism towards foreigners even towards other Asian race.
I feel sorry that Korean people are acting like that as it is a really beautiful country and we can find really kind people there. The Korean culture (music, drama, food..) is well-know in the world and will be more and more in the future.. How come they want us (the other countries) to accept their culture when they are reluctant about foreigners and everything that can be connected to it??

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 6th, 2012 7:59 pm

oomanyeeoo,

May I ask, are you a student of the Korean language? Are you using this site to help improve your Korean skills?

I do not think this language learning site is the proper venue for the topic you have opened, so I hesitated before posting a reply; nevertheless, after having watched the youtube link, here is my opinion on the matter:

This is typical sensationalist journalism, using controversial subjects to grab the attention of viewers. The editorial segment also feeds off of misunderstanding and resentment of foreigners. This does NOT represent the way most Koreans perceive U.S. citizens or any other foreigners.

It is true that there are many "victims" of violence and sex related crimes. This is true in any country. Educated people know that these perpetrators are not just foreigners, and the percentage of perpetrators will nearly always mirror the population demographic. However, it is perfectly understandable that a nation would resent the perception among foreigners that their country is a "sex playground." In the case of Korea, this problem is exacerbated by the proliferation of "business" that caters to said desires, and that in virtually all cities and towns, excepting only small hamlets. Although the government has cracked down on such activities, the trend continues, more widespread and prolific than someone who cannot read Hangul could possibly know.

For the sake of all foreigners, I hope people traveling to Korea will enjoy the food, the culture, the mountains, the museums, and all the attractions, while behaving themselves like proper ladies and gentlemen.

Join by May 6th
oomanyeeoo9541
New in Town

Postby oomanyeeoo9541 » June 7th, 2012 10:30 pm

Hi trutherous,

Yes I did sign in to learn and improve my skills in Korean. I didnt just signed in to post some controversial posts on your foun. Like I said I just felt in love with South Korea last summer and I will go back there this summer even if I heard bad experiences from people who have leaves there for a few years.
I just wanted people to share their thoughts as I assume that there are many South Korea lovers who I guess they have already been there for many times. I am sorry that I have posted that subject on your forum.

jaehwi
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby jaehwi » June 11th, 2012 5:11 am

Hi oomanyeeoo9541 and trutherous,

this is an interesting topic. However, I personally think this video is overreacting a bit, although I am sure there are many cases like the ones mentioned. This doesn't happen only in Korea, but in many countries in the world. Foreigners or immigrants are everyone. As well as kind people and racists.

But as some say "a focus on the tree will make you miss the forest". Internet is a place where anyone can upload any kind of information. It is essential for every individual to learn how to distinguish "good" and "bad" information. Not everyone's intentions are good.

oomanyeeoo9541, you fell in love with Korea and you are going back. So focus on all the nice things that you are going to experience (food, people, places, culture etc.) and make that visit an unforgettable one!

Oh... and don't forget to keep studying Korean :wink:

Stefania/KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Visiting Korea (한국 방문하기)”