a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Some Sentences in Korean

fej4955
Been Around a Bit

Some Sentences in Korean

Postby fej4955 » December 12th, 2013 11:33 am

Hello,

I have just started to learn Korean. I have studied Japanese for two years and found that Japanese and Korean have a lot in common. So, this is one of my first attempt to write Korean sentences.

I eat fish. (formal high)
처눈 물고기를 먹습니다.

I eat fish. (formal low)
처눈 물고기를 먹는다.

I eat fish. (informal high)
처눈 물고기를 먹어요.

I eat fish. (informal low)
처눈 물고기를 먹어.

So in what situations are these different formalities used?
From Japanese I know that it depends on social status of speaker, listener and the person/persons nearby, who might hear the discussion.

If I have understood correctly, the only pronoun used in spoken Korean is 처(formal I), 나(informal I). In other cases the either the name or social status (teacher, proffessor, brother "oppa", man "ajussi", woman "ajumma" ) is used. Often 처 나 are omitted, so basically no pronouns are used. Is the plural then again expressed by "everyone" or then, as in Japanese say e.g. Yukasan tachi (yuka-san and the others), where Yuka-san is the person closest to the speaker? Is it just possibble to mention the name of the person, who is highest in social status and omit the rest?

What is "dega" and "uri"? "dega" is translated often as "I" and "uri" often as "we, ours, mine, my". In that case "uri" reminds of Japanese "uchi" うち, where it means "home, our home, my home, our, my"

What is this "oppa"? I know it means older/respected brother. The use of it discusts me, since in Japanese anime and manga many incest-related stories have constantly this "oniichan" all over the place. What is worse, in Korean drama even females over 30 might use this "oppa" on some random (good-looking) man. Why is "oppa" used? Is it "cute", as in Japan?

Thank you in advance.

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Re: Some Sentences in Korean

Postby korea.innovative » December 14th, 2013 10:08 am

fej4955 wrote:Hello,

I have just started to learn Korean. I have studied Japanese for two years and found that Japanese and Korean have a lot in common. So, this is one of my first attempt to write Korean sentences.

처눈 물고기를 먹습니다.

I eat fish. (formal low)
처눈 물고기를 먹는다.

처눈 물고기를 먹어요.

처눈 물고기를 먹어.

So in what situations are these different formalities used?
From Japanese I know that it depends on social status of speaker, listener and the person/persons nearby, who might hear the discussion.

If I have understood correctly, the only pronoun used in spoken Korean is 처(formal I), 나(informal I). In other cases the either the name or social status (teacher, proffessor, brother "oppa", man "ajussi", woman "ajumma" ) is used. Often 처 나 are omitted, so basically no pronouns are used. Is the plural then again expressed by "everyone" or then, as in Japanese say e.g. Yukasan tachi (yuka-san and the others), where Yuka-san is the person closest to the speaker? Is it just possibble to mention the name of the person, who is highest in social status and omit the rest?

What is "dega" and "uri"? "dega" is translated often as "I" and "uri" often as "we, ours, mine, my". In that case "uri" reminds of Japanese "uchi" うち, where it means "home, our home, my home, our, my"

What is this "oppa"? I know it means older/respected brother. The use of it discusts me, since in Japanese anime and manga many incest-related stories have constantly this "oniichan" all over the place. What is worse, in Korean drama even females over 30 might use this "oppa" on some random (good-looking) man. Why is "oppa" used? Is it "cute", as in Japan?

Thank you in advance.

Hey Fej,

Thank you for your questions and you have really good sense towards the language

Plus your Japanese skill would definitely help towards your learning on Korean!

In the case or using honorifics, it would work the same as keigo in Japanese - the older, higher the status, the more polite you get on language usage.

처눈 물고기를 먹습니다.
-> 저는 물고기를 먹습니다: most formal as you have mentioned and you can use these towards family(seniors), elderly or professors as you have mentioned.

I eat fish. (formal low)
처눈 물고기를 먹는다.
-> 나는 물고기를 먹는다.:casual, between friends or younger.

처눈 물고기를 먹어요.
-> 저는 물고기를 먹어요: standard, you could use towards strangers, close senpais, or even your family(direct)

처눈 물고기를 먹어.
-> 나는 물고기를 먹어: casual, same as -는다 usage.

Here as you can see 저 is a humble version while 나/내 are the casual ways to use - so depending on occasions, you have to choose which one to use!

Uri, 우리, means as you have said the same as watasitachi!:)

And I completely understand about oppa!haha you could take it same as the Japanese onichan usage - basically calling someone older in more intimat ways and even if the female is old, as long as she is younger than the male she is referring to, she could still use it!;)

Thank you

Madison
Team KoreanClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
fej4955
Been Around a Bit

Postby fej4955 » December 14th, 2013 10:41 pm

Thank you for your reply, I really did not think anyone would reply. Did you already explain this dega, 데가? If you did think, thank you. Okay, so 우리 is like watashitachi,わたしたち.

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Postby korea.innovative » December 22nd, 2013 4:32 am

Hey fej,

fej4955 wrote:Thank you for your reply, I really did not think anyone would reply. Did you already explain this dega, 데가? If you did think, thank you. Okay, so 우리 is like watashitachi,わたしたち.

We are right here to help! Ask us anytime what you wonder!:)

I am not sure what you mean by -데가. Would you mind sharing the full sentence with us? So we could give you better idea!;)

And i reckon 우리 or even 우리들 could be watasitachi!:)

Thank you

Madison
team KoreanClass101

fej4955
Been Around a Bit

Postby fej4955 » December 24th, 2013 10:24 pm

I asked this 다가 of a Korean aquintance and she said it is the form of 나 attached with the subject particle. I cannot give a sentence as example since I have only heard this in Korean drama. However, always when 대가 appears, it is translated as "I".

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Postby korea.innovative » December 27th, 2013 6:46 am

fej4955 wrote:I asked this 다가 of a Korean aquintance and she said it is the form of 나 attached with the subject particle. I cannot give a sentence as example since I have only heard this in Korean drama. However, always when 대가 appears, it is translated as "I".

Hey Fej,

I think you mean 내가! That means I (am/do).

It is also same as 나는 but 내가 gives bit more emphasis on myself than neutral!:)

Thank you

Madison
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”