a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

"Korean-ised" English Names

SemperAdMeliora
New in Town

"Korean-ised" English Names

Postby SemperAdMeliora » September 12th, 2015 11:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie at Korean, and I was wondering about names. My full name is Joel Strautman. Here are my questions:

1) Since I don't have a Korean name, is it better to just use Strautman Joel when introducing myself in Korean (e.g., 안녕하세요. 저는 Strautman Joel입니다.), or is it acceptable to use a "Korean-ised" version of my name?
2) If I were to "Korean-ise" my English name, what would it be?
Would it be 시투렅만 조엘?
Maybe 세투렅만 조엘?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: "Korean-ised" English Names

Postby community.korean » September 22nd, 2015 4:57 am

Hi Joel,

Yes, your name will be Koreanized once it is written in Korean. :)
I would write it as 졸 or 조엘 스트라우트만.

감사합니다.
Claire
Team KoreanClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
SarangShirts
New in Town

Re: "Korean-ised" English Names

Postby SarangShirts » December 2nd, 2015 4:12 pm

Joel, Claire is right that you would write your full name in Hangul that way. It's important to remember the exact spelling and use the same version on every document, lest you get everyone (especially yourself) confused on official documents.

That said, in real life, Koreans will get tripped up by such a long name. Your best bet is to introduce yourself with your full name, which I believe rhymes with "goal", and therefore would be written in Hangul as 졸. Just say, "안녕하세요. 저는 졸입니다 or... 졸라고 합니다.

Sure, that doesn't sound like your full name and sure Koreans would never introduce themselves with just a syllable like that, but in reality, that's how foreigners with names like ours have to go about it if anyone is to remember our name for the next time. Hope this helps!

- - - - - -
https://SarangShirts.com -- Get a shirt or hoodie with Korean writing on it in Hangeul
- - - - - -
SarangShirts.com -- Finally buy a shirt or hoodie with Korean writing on it in Hangeul

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”