Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Verb Charts? Edit: I created some of my own; see inside

mrshannon116
New in Town

Verb Charts? Edit: I created some of my own; see inside

Postby mrshannon116 » January 1st, 2015 10:36 pm

UPDATE: I'm going through trying to find everything and putting it together but it would be helpful to have what I say below already in one location.

After learning the alphabet, hangul, and some other basic stuff, my next step is to study verbs. A lot of the information I am looking for is scattered throughout the site, and it would be nice to have in one place as a chart. What I would find helpful right now is a chart in a format similar to the following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
infinitive
verb stem

present formal ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)
present standard ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)
present intimate ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)

past formal ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)
past standard ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)
past intimate ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)

future formal ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)
future standard ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)
future intimate ending (when verb stem ends in consonant; when verb stem ends in vowel)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize the verb conjugation chart on the site gives a few examples, but instead of providing the endings alone to be attached to the verb stems, it just adds the endings directly to the verb stems, creating sound changes which are hard to analyze and avoid error. Adding the audio and romanization to my suggested chart above will help learn the sound changes easier than just trying to remember all the sound change rules. It would be awesome to have a chart with as many verbs as possible so there is absolutely no question as to what the verb stem is and what endings to add to the stems for all tenses and all politeness levels. Pointing out any exceptions to the patters would be useful as well.

My goal is not to just build my vocabulary by memorizing verbs, but to build my vocabulary through reading. In order to do this, I need to be able to break down verbs in my reading into verb stems and tense/politeness endings. This can be difficult without the exact endings being given before any potential sound changes occur when the endings are connected to the stems.

This is my suggestion which would really help me and perhaps others as well. I am a systematic learner so memorizing the patterns found in charts is very useful to me. Thank you!
Last edited by mrshannon116 on January 4th, 2015 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrshannon116
New in Town

Re: Detailed Verb Charts without skipping steps?

Postby mrshannon116 » January 1st, 2015 11:17 pm

Here is an example of what I am doing. I was looking online and found a word at the end of a sentence which I assume to be a verb. I look up the verb on Google Translate and it tells me the word means "said." Next I look up the infinite in a dictionary and I came across --말하다. Next I want to know the verb stem, so I assume if I take off 다 that 말하 is the verb stem. So far I only know the present tense in the formal politeness level. I know the ending is -ᄇ니다 since the stem ends in a vowel. Therefore I would assume the word becomes 말합니다 which means "says." The ending for the progressive present tense is -고있다 and thus the word would probably become 말하고있다 meaning "is/are saying."

Since the endings are scattered throughout the site, these are the only ones I know, which is why I suggest a chart with all this stuff in one location would be very useful. This is my way of learning verbs. Look for verbs in my reading, look up the meaning, look up the infinitive, then try and determine the stem and the proper ending to add to the stem and see if it matches the word in the reading.

For a second word I found 통과시켰다 which Google Translate says is "passed" and it also says "to pass" is 통과. The verb stem appears to be the same as the infinitive, therefore, I assume the present tense (formal) is -ᄇ니다 and when added to the stem I get 통괍니다 which would mean "pass" or something like that. I'm not sure if this is correct or not because Google Translate can't translate it, although it does provide a pronunciation for it. Either way, this practice helps me learn new verbs. A chart available with verbs that do not follow normal patters would be useful. Normal verbs would not have to be added to the chart, but any irregular verbs and verbs which create sound changes would be helpful in the chart.

Thank you!

Get 40% OFF
mrshannon116
New in Town

Re: Detailed Verb Charts without skipping steps?

Postby mrshannon116 » January 4th, 2015 8:57 am

Here are some charts I made with the help of both koreanclass101.com and the Dongsa.net Korean Verb Conjugator websites. These charts are very helpful for me. I am sharing them for anyone else who may find these helpful. I used the top 20 verbs from one of the lessons on the site, and I also added 7 more verbs of my choice. The first chart is the verb endings and the other three charts conjugate 27 verbs. These charts only contain the main three tenses in the three main politeness levels.

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: Verb Charts? Edit: I created some of my own; see inside

Postby community.korean » January 12th, 2015 3:43 am

Hi mrshannon116,

Thanks for sharing your learning insights!
I am sure other learners will find them very useful. :)

We appreciate your suggestions as well.

Regards,
Claire
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”