a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Confused on how this should be pronounced: 각

freyjarocks
New in Town

Confused on how this should be pronounced: 각

Postby freyjarocks » July 6th, 2014 3:25 am

Hi,

I am new to learning the Korean language. I have a language learning textbook and it gives the example 각(gak) to pronounce. I thought that giyeok would sound more like a k sound with the last sounding more like a g sound. Kinda of sounding like kag. I am confused when giyeok in a word should be pronounced as a g or k sound. Any help would be great.

kraemder_226527
New in Town

Re: Confused on how this should be pronounced: 각

Postby kraemder_226527 » July 24th, 2014 11:55 pm

I was reading your post because I have my own pronunciation question and I'm a noob. I think I can answer this though or help a little..

정각 jeonggak o'clock

From the core 100. You can go listen to the audio. The audio sounds just like gak to me so I think your textbook is spot on. I get why you're confused though - the letter has three sound components.. the 1st is ㄱ and my app I studied last week says it has a "G" sound.. the next is ㅏ and from what I've seen it's consistently got an "AH" sound. and then it's ㄱ again in the final position but now it has a different sound.. it's more of a k than a "G". My app taught me that a K is ㅋ but clearly there's some flexibility. G and K are definitely related sounds.. one is voiced and the other isn't but the mouth has the same position. So it makes sense kinda.

Get 40% OFF
community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: Confused on how this should be pronounced: 각

Postby community.korean » July 28th, 2014 5:22 am

Hi all,

ㄱ is normally pronounced as a soft "k" when placed at the beginning of a word and more of a "g" in the middle of a word. But, remember it is a soft "k" and not identical to the English "k."

So it would be more helpful to listen to native Korean speakers rather than relying on romanization.

Thanks,
Claire
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”