a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Beginner: Where to start? Advices?

lar90_hooba_225949
New in Town

Beginner: Where to start? Advices?

Postby lar90_hooba_225949 » May 25th, 2014 2:27 am

인사 안녕하세요

Greetings, I have been learning korean since the start of the year and I recently subscribed to Korean101 early this month.

I was wondering where do I start?? Audio Lessions? Video Lessions? How long is it effective to learn for both audio & video lessons from a daily basis? What is enough to learn on a daily basis? I know it depends but what is realistic if your busy with your schedule other things? 2-3 hrs a day?

I am a beginner but I feel I am still lacking on some of the basics/introduction. It's a bit overwhelming because of skiming through the materials on the site where it has a wide variety of lessons. There were even phrases in the introduction section (audio lessions) that I haven't even learned yet. Any suggestions of learning is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd

goossenssammy3006
New in Town

Re: Beginner: Where to start? Advices?

Postby goossenssammy3006 » May 25th, 2014 7:00 am

Hi Lloyd

First off I would say welcome to the club! :)

When I first sigend up to this site I had allready studied Korean, with a textbook, for about a year.
Instead of going for the beginner's lesson I decided to start completely at the bottom with Absolute Beginner series.

I would commit myself to 1 complete lesson a day. At first it went real quick and I felt like skipping some.
I'm glad i didn't cause the examples and explanation in the lessons are much better suited for daily conversation then what I learned in the textbooks.

As I progressed lessons would take anywhere from 30m to 1.30h. I didn't really focus on how long it took, I just made sure that the lesson for the day was complete and that I understood the material.

I hope this helps you make a decicion on how to study.

Sammy

Get 40% OFF
ofeliadgrd
New in Town

Postby ofeliadgrd » June 10th, 2014 7:45 am

Hi Lloyd,

Thank you Sammy for your help!
I would also suggest to have a look to the video lessons:
http://www.koreanclass101.com/index.php?cat=53
You can find there good lessons about the basics.

If you have any question, please let us know!
Thank you,
Ofelia
Team KoreanClass101.com

kraemder_226527
New in Town

Postby kraemder_226527 » July 25th, 2014 1:08 am

I started Korean just a few days ago and I've been doing flashcards using the vocabulary in the Core 100/200. It's going ok. I'm planning on starting the conversation lessons soon too. I expect they're fun since the japanesepod101 one's were fun. I'm also signed up for a regular class this fall - for Japanese a regular class was key to getting me to focus on stuff I hated like grammar.

I didn't do the video lessons too much on Japanesepod.. from what I recall there weren't nearly as many as the audio lessons and they didn't seem to have the same depth. I expect it takes less time and money to make a good audio lesson? Although they could just video the hosts doing the audio shows and that would be good I think. My experience was the audio lessons were the best option though.

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » July 28th, 2014 5:38 am

Hi kraemder,

Thank you for sharing your learning experience.

I also believe it is important not to neglect any part of language learning even if you do not enjoy it.
In your case, it was grammar.

Keep it up, guys! :wink:

Regards,
Claire
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”