a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

subjectivity in Korean language

fej4955
Been Around a Bit

subjectivity in Korean language

Postby fej4955 » May 4th, 2014 6:03 am

Hello,

so I and my friend have noticed that Korean language is greatly subjective. One single word can be pronunced in many ways, mostly by having different vowelpronuncations. When watching Korean drama I cannot really say what the word is itself only based on the pronunciation but instead based on how it is written.

I explain it again. Koreans seem to understand each other based on the fact that they know how words are written and not how they are pronunced. So if a Korean hears a pronunciation he/she cannot connect a word he/she already knows, this person cannot always write correclt the word.

So how does this work in daily life? In television, the words the persons speak are written somewhere. Thus, the person watching the television connects the pronunciation with how the word looks and NOT how the word should actually be pronunced according to exact hangul. In food menus, when a person orders something, he/she points out what is to be ordered. When this happens, the persons around there connect the appearence of the word with the pronunciation.

The important fact here is that the pronunciation does not always have to be excatly as word should be pronunced according to the hangul writing.

Okay, so how can people understand each other? How can the young how generation, who simplify the speech eg the two e´s 애, 에 to one e 애 (I assume), be understood by the older generation? who use more exact pronunciation. The solution lies in the fact that people learn that one word written in hangul can be pronunced in many ways. Certain pronunciations are used by certain groups of peolpe depending on age, situation, sex, region etc.

In generally, Koreans pronunce loan words much more precise than korean words. Loan words are pronunced exaclty as the hangul writing would be.

Do I have something correct here?
Thank you in advance

Quoting zKorean:
"Due to the subjective nature of language, pronunciations will vary from region to region as well as person to person."

rashedibragimov_226816
New in Town

Re: subjectivity in Korean language

Postby rashedibragimov_226816 » September 1st, 2014 10:22 am

The main goal is to identify factors motivating pragmatic transfer in advanced learners of English. Based on a cross-cultural comparison of requesting behavior between Koreans and Americans, and it also determines the impact of individual subjective motives on pragmatic language choice. The concept of subjectivity has been of increasing interest to linguists and linguistic essay writing help anthropologists lately. Most linguists date this concept to Benveniste (1971), who described subjectivity in terms of the ability of speakers to view themselves as subjects.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”