Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Honorific vs non-honorific

jumpcuts1117
New in Town

Honorific vs non-honorific

Postby jumpcuts1117 » December 15th, 2013 1:33 pm

Hello! I will be visiting Korea this summer, and to make my learning a little easier, I figured I would focus on Standard politeness level when studying verbs. But I just realized all three forms can either be honorific or non-honorific!! What is the difference? If you use honorific with Polite form it's super, super polite? And when would you use honorific with Initimate? That seems a little contradictory - to me at least ;)

But if I'm focusing on Standard, and I want to make my learning as easy as possible (I will only be in Korea for ten days and I don't need to be fluent), should study Standard, honorific?

Thanks! Geoff

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Re: Honorific vs non-honorific

Postby korea.innovative » December 22nd, 2013 4:51 am

Hey Geoff,

Congratulations!! You must be very excited!:D

There are so many fun events going on during summer in Korea, especially Seoul, and you will enjoy so much!

There are three kinds that you are well aware of which would be - intimate, polite standard, honorific.

Intimat would finish like -하다, -이다, -야 and so on, polite standard -요, honorific -합니다, 입니다.

Basically you are right that with polite standard, you will have no problem offending anyone!haha

Thank you

Madison
team KoreanClass101
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”