Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Differences! Please help!

bigakuh255125
New in Town

Differences! Please help!

Postby bigakuh255125 » December 14th, 2013 4:24 am

Hello! I just have a question. I noticed that some words in English have more than one word in Korean such as "cold" or "hot". Are these synonyms, or are there any nuances between them?

fej4955
Been Around a Bit

Re: Differences! Please help!

Postby fej4955 » December 15th, 2013 5:24 pm

I do not know that much of Korean, sorry, since I am a beginner and still learning.

But in Japanese cold and hot can have different meanings. They are if some object is hot or then if the weather is hot. The same thing is with cold; coldhearted (person), cold on surface or cold to touch and cold weather. I guess people can be cold and hot also. All the different meanings have their own kanji.

I am sorry I do not know at all of Korean, but atleast in Japanese there are several "warm" and "colds".

I assume that since Korean and Japanese have quite lot in common, the similarity could apply to this question.

Edit: Checked in dictionary and it says (http://www.wordreference.com/enko/cold)

hot adj (with high temperature) 온도가
hot adj figurative (food: spicy) 음식: 비유적표현
hot adj informal (popular) 속어

I cannot find more of cold.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Get 40% OFF
korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Postby korea.innovative » December 17th, 2013 1:16 am

Hey there,

Those are good questions! Always for language, when there's literal meaning, there also exists connotation.

In terms of hot and cold in Korean (뜨겁다, 차갑다), i would say there is implication but in more of ambience.

We would not use those words towards people like it would work in both English and Japanese - maybe 'cold' would work but 'hot' not for sure - but to explain such situation other than the temperature.

For example, 이곳은 열기가 뜨겁습니다 - this place is so hot with

While it could literally means that the venue is so hot but on the other hand, it could also imply that this place is full of passion (you will hear this commonly especially during Olympics broadcasting or any sports events).

Hope this helps to your understanding towards one word with two meanings! ;)

Thank you,

Madison
Team KoreanClass101.com

hadiyyahsulaiman2122
New in Town

Postby hadiyyahsulaiman2122 » January 9th, 2014 6:26 pm

Hii,
I'm also a beginner and I just want to understand the differences in some sentences.For example

저 남자 누고에요? and 저거 남자 누구에요?

From what i have learned so far,i found out that the demonstrative adjectives in general (이,그,저) usually come with '거'.But during one of my lessons,i saw this first sentence without the '거' and now I'm a little confused :? .So please, do these two sentences have the same meaning or which one is correct.

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Postby korea.innovative » January 22nd, 2014 1:08 am

Hey there,

Thank you for your questions!:)

이,그,저 are as you are well aware of, demonstrative adjectives like this, that, that(far from both).

거(것) basically means (some)thing.

So when you say 이거, 그거, that means 'this thing', and 'that thing'!

Therein, if there's other nouns coming after such adjectives, you don't use such dummy as 거(것) as you could see from

저 남자 누구에요? - who is that man?
that man, who is?

but when you only point out something, it would be more like

저거 봐봐! - look at that thing!
that thing, look at!

Hope this helps clarify your thoughts?:)

Please feel free to follow up with us if you still feel confused!;)

Thank you

Madison
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”