Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Please help !!

mino9x2844
New in Town

Please help !!

Postby mino9x2844 » October 29th, 2013 12:17 pm

Hello , I have some questions about Korean grammar, could you guys give me a hand,plz ?
Ok,my questions are:
1) I get so confused about the usage of 나가다 and 나오다, also 들어가다 and 들어오다,so could you explain their usage further to me?
2) There's a sentence saying:우리 가족이 네 명입니다. But there's another one saying : 남동생이 한 명 있습니다.So what's the difference between these two usages,and does it matter if I switch them?
3) What is the differnce between the final ending -을까요/ㄹ까요 and -읍시다/-ㅂ시다? Is the latter more formal than the former,or is there a difference in the meaning?
4) And the last one,please tell me the differnce between 가다 and 오다,does the usage depend on the speaker's position?
Please help me,thank you so muchhhh.And have a good day :)

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Re: Please help !!

Postby kc101com » November 5th, 2013 9:51 am

Hey Mino,

Thank you for your questions and here are our answers right below your each question!:)

mino9x2844 wrote:Hello , I have some questions about Korean grammar, could you guys give me a hand,plz ?
Ok,my questions are:
1) I get so confused about the usage of 나가다 and 나오다, also 들어가다 and 들어오다,so could you explain their usage further to me?

Basically both of them differs by where you would like to focus on. For example, 나는 방에서 나갔다/나는 방에서 나왔다 - I went out of the room, I came out of the room - both are eventually leaving the room but the first one focuses on "me" leaving the room while the second focusing on me getting out of "the room". Same applies to the 들어가다/들어오다. It is a nuance - could you catch that?

2) There's a sentence saying:우리 가족이 네 명입니다. But there's another one saying : 남동생이 한 명 있습니다.So what's the difference between these two usages,and does it matter if I switch them?

it depends on what you put on the subject - first sentence is "my family" is 4, while "my brother" is one. is this what you meant or please tell us more on your question!

3) What is the differnce between the final ending -을까요/ㄹ까요 and -읍시다/-ㅂ시다? Is the latter more formal than the former,or is there a difference in the meaning?

The reason we put one with 을, another, only batchim with same ending is because it changes the nuance. While both use the same frame, -을까요 is used to show the curiosity/potential whereas ㄹ까요 is for more of actionable sentence. For example, 무슨 일이 벌어졌을까요? means 'what would have happened?' when 다음주에 저녁 식사를 할까요? is 'why don't we grab dinner next week?'

4) And the last one,please tell me the difference between 가다 and 오다,does the usage depend on the speaker's position?

For the speaker's position, 가다 is being away from where the speaker's position is at while 오다 is to come towards the speaker's position!

Hope this helps a bit on your question and please feel free to follow up with u if you still feel confused bit!:)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”