a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Romanization (RR): 먹었으니 and 재미없잖아

peterbarrow1715077
New in Town

Romanization (RR): 먹었으니 and 재미없잖아

Postby peterbarrow1715077 » July 30th, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi all,

Two quick questions regarding the romanization of two words, if anybody can spare a few minutes. The words and their romanization are taken from the lesson notes for 'Upper Intermediate S1 #3'. In asking this question I am assuming the romanization in the PDFs has been done according to the rules of Revised Romanization.

먹었으니 has been romanized as meogeoseuni. I romanized this as 'meogeoteuni'. Why is the ㅆ not romanized as 't'?

재미없잖아 has been romanized as jaemieopjana. I romanized this as 'jaemieoptjanka'. Why is the ㅅnot romanized? Why is the ㅎnot romanized?

I have referred to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Romanization_of_Korean and korean.go.kr/eng/roman/roman.jsp but can't find an answer; it's very possible I've read (and missed) the answer though since I'm very new to Hangul/Korean! Any explanations or links to a rule of romanization I may have missed/misunderstood would be appreciated.

Thank you.

korea.innovative
Been Around a Bit

Re: Romanization (RR): 먹었으니 and 재미없잖아

Postby korea.innovative » August 3rd, 2013 1:41 pm

peterbarrow1715077 wrote:Hi all,

Two quick questions regarding the romanization of two words, if anybody can spare a few minutes. The words and their romanization are taken from the lesson notes for 'Upper Intermediate S1 #3'. In asking this question I am assuming the romanization in the PDFs has been done according to the rules of Revised Romanization.

먹었으니 has been romanized as meogeoseuni. I romanized this as 'meogeoteuni'. Why is the ㅆ not romanized as 't'?

재미없잖아 has been romanized as jaemieopjana. I romanized this as 'jaemieoptjanka'. Why is the ㅅnot romanized? Why is the ㅎnot romanized?

I have referred to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revised_Romanization_of_Korean and korean.go.kr/eng/roman/roman.jsp but can't find an answer; it's very possible I've read (and missed) the answer though since I'm very new to Hangul/Korean! Any explanations or links to a rule of romanization I may have missed/misunderstood would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Hey Peter!

The romanization is indeed a confusing - though there exists the way of romanizing it it really depends how people would perceive and speak those languages.

I would rather recommend you for listening the pronunciation of the words and make it on your own than chasing what would be the right way!

We have Korean dictionary for free under Korean sources so try that and it would work a lot better for you!;)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”