Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Pronunciation Question

Gudrun
Established Presence

Pronunciation Question

Postby Gudrun » August 25th, 2012 12:31 am

I haven't been able to find a rule in any of my textbooks regarding this situation, so I'm asking the kind and knowledgeable Korean learners/speakers for help. If a 2 syllable word has the consonant ㅈ, ㅅ, or ㅊ at the end of the first syllable, (받침) and the first letter of the second syllable is the same consonant, does the consonant at the end of the first syllable still take on a ㄷ sound or does it become like a double consonant? (This situation probably never occurs with ㅊ, but I'm sure I've seen it with ㅈ and ㅅ.) I get different opinions when I've asked some of my former clasmates. Thanks for any help!

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » August 27th, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi Gudrun,

Thank you for your comment and I completely understand why you get confused about batchim.

It is one of common confusions that all Korean learners go through.

There are exceptions and I think the best way for you to understand is this video:

http://www.koreanclass101.com/2012/05/1 ... alization/

It deals with the exceptions and the rules of batchim and you will get quickly after this!

Please let me know if you have further question! :)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

Get 40% OFF
Gudrun
Established Presence

Postby Gudrun » August 27th, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks Madison, but I still don't see the specific situation of a ㅅ or ㅈ 받침 followed by the same consonant. Could you please explain a little more? Thanks.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » August 28th, 2012 7:31 am

Hey Gudrun,

Nice to see you are still studying diligently.

Perhaps it would be best if you gave some specific examples.

An exception might be found in the case of past tense 었/았 ㅆ followed by 습니다 -- 있습니다 --갔습니다 etc. which sound to me like 이습니다 and 가습니다 not 이씁니다 or 가씁니다 ... so it's best to give examples of the actual syllabic combinations that are in question.

Gudrun
Established Presence

Postby Gudrun » August 28th, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks for your reply! Actually, the word(s) in question would be nouns. I understand that the conjugated verbs wouldn't follow the doubling rule. But I can't remember the noun that I had a question about. I'm racking my brain. So frustrating...

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » August 28th, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Gudrun,

Yes that would be great as trutherous had mentioned if there is specific example.

Then you could understand better and we could also explain to you better!;)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”