Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Help, difference in ㅓ,ㅗ ㅛ,ㅕ

lovechenyuxi8484
New in Town

Help, difference in ㅓ,ㅗ ㅛ,ㅕ

Postby lovechenyuxi8484 » July 2nd, 2012 10:16 am

I have difficulties in reading and distinguish this two pairsㅓ,ㅗ ㅛ,ㅕ, please help to define

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » July 2nd, 2012 7:50 pm

Hello lovechenyuxi8484 - welcome to KC101 :D

Please feel free to make liberal use of the forums here.

If the distinction between the vowel sounds of ㅓ ㅕ and ㅗ ㅛ are the only things you are having trouble with then I would say you are doing great.

First off, I assume that you know these are vowels and have no intrinsic meaning on their own; furthermore, with the exception of grammatical discussion, Hangul vowels are always coupled with at least one consonant to form a syllabic group.

ㅓ - often romanized as "eo" sounds like the short "o" in love and of i.e. short "o" sound
ㅕ -"yeo" additional stroke simply adds a "y" sound

ㅗ - typically romanized as "o" has a long "o" sound as in oh and tow
ㅛ - "yo" additional stroke simply adds a "y" sound

However, in everyday conversation the sounds are often muddled because everyone speaks a little differently, causing it to be difficult for a student of Korean to hear a distinct difference in certain sounds.

Other sounds that students of Korean often have trouble distinguishing the difference between are:

ㅜ/ㅡ
ㅐ/ㅔ

The only way to overcome this difficulty is to listen and read repeatedly, and I mean literally thousands of times. If you are serious about learning Korean, or any foreign language, please keep in mind that the average adult knows something on order of 30,000 words in his native language, so to reach even a modest level of fluency requires patience and dedication.

Keep up the good work. And remember, sometimes you won't fully understand what you learn on step one until you reach step 50, but the key is to continue climbing.

George Posten - fellow student - aka - 나영훈

Get 40% OFF
kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » August 13th, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi lovechenyuxi8484,

Thanks to trutherous I think you have well-understood :)

Just to add that, for all Korean alphabets(consonants) there is regular and aspirated.

Especially on consonants you have mentioned, those are either regular and aspirated.

So the ones with usually extra dots or lines have stronger sound.

Hope this helps abit to line up the alphabets!:D

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”