Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Conjugation Help.

slashtheboo1133
New in Town

Conjugation Help.

Postby slashtheboo1133 » April 16th, 2012 9:46 am

so i just began season 2 of the beginner series and im on the lesson about honorific infix.and i know how to do conjugate it in the normal present tense but when talking about the imperative is when i get a bit confused.im gonna use 괜찮다 for the example.so when u conjugate it it should be
괜찮으셔(요) but in the next lesson, the imperative you get 괜찮으세요.basically what im asking how u get from 셔요 to 세요.im not sure if something is being added or if something is being conjugated differently.Thank you in advance.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » April 17th, 2012 7:48 am

so i just began season 2 of the beginner series and im on the lesson about honorific infix.and i know how to do conjugate it in the normal present tense but when talking about the imperative is when i get a bit confused.im gonna use 괜찮다 for the example.so when u conjugate it it should be
괜찮으셔(요) but in the next lesson, the imperative you get 괜찮으세요.basically what im asking how u get from 셔요 to 세요.im not sure if something is being added or if something is being conjugated differently.Thank you in advance.

These would be imperative:
하세요 -please do
주세요 -please give

Your example is more a polite interrogative

시+어 =셔 "괜찮으셔요" :D although this might be perceived as a little antiquated or somewhat cute colloquial form
괜찮으세요 --this "세" appears to just be the result of 'pronunciation evolution' of "시어 (셔)"

괜찮으십니까?

Get 40% OFF
kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » April 23rd, 2012 4:47 am

trutherous wrote:

These would be imperative:
하세요 -please do
주세요 -please give

Your example is more a polite interrogative

시+어 =셔 "괜찮으셔요" :D although this might be perceived as a little antiquated or somewhat cute colloquial form
괜찮으세요 --this "세" appears to just be the result of 'pronunciation evolution' of "시어 (셔)"

괜찮으십니까?

Hi slashtheboo1133,

This is Madison from Koreanclass101.com

trutherous is right. Both are actually right not wrong but 괜찮으세요 is more commonly used.

It is hard to explain by the rule in this case as some words are preferred by the natural social contents!

Some words would be confusing in that way but keep it on! :(

You will get the sense soon enough! ;)

Thank you

Madison/Koreanclass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”