a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The Verb Ending 대요

roboytoe563484
New in Town

The Verb Ending 대요

Postby roboytoe563484 » March 4th, 2012 12:59 am

Hello.

I am reading a Korean children's book, and what I have found in many pages are sentences that end in "대요." I wish to know what the ending represents, and I will give some examples of it that I found:

-엄마 아빠는 작고 아담한 집에서 즐겁게 살았대요.

-내가 태어났을 때 내 눈은 별처럼 초롱초롱 빛났대요.

As you can see, at the end of the sentence they end in "대요" but I have never encountered it before...

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 4th, 2012 5:10 am

I am reading a Korean children's book, and what I have found in many pages are sentences that end in "대요." I wish to know what the ending represents, and I will give some examples of it that I found:

As you can see, at the end of the sentence they end in "대요" but I have never encountered it before...

Hi roboytoe563484,

It's nice to see you make use of the forum here at KC101. Children's books are a great way to learn. I used them extensively.

regarding your question, here '...대요' means like 'they said' "it is said' 'heard that'

엄마 아빠는 작고 아담한 집에서 즐겁게 살았대요. I heard that mother and father lived happily in a small, cozy house. or 'I was told that...'They said...'

내가 태어났을 때 내 눈은 별처럼 초롱초롱 빛났대요. -They said my eyes were shining with a bright clear light like the stars when I was born.

be sure not to confuse this with the pattern '~ㄴ데요' which sounds very similar but has a totally different meaning.

George -- fellow studtent

Get 40% OFF
madisonk6013
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby madisonk6013 » March 5th, 2012 2:22 am

trutherous wrote:

Hi roboytoe563484,

It's nice to see you make use of the forum here at KC101. Children's books are a great way to learn. I used them extensively.

regarding your question, here '...대요' means like 'they said' "it is said' 'heard that'

엄마 아빠는 작고 아담한 집에서 즐겁게 살았대요. I heard that mother and father lived happily in a small, cozy house. or 'I was told that...'They said...'

내가 태어났을 때 내 눈은 별처럼 초롱초롱 빛났대요. -They said my eyes were shining with a bright clear light like the stars when I was born.

be sure not to confuse this with the pattern '~ㄴ데요' which sounds very similar but has a totally different meaning.

George -- fellow studtent

Hello,

This is Madison from Koreanclass101.com! :)

George is very much correct! First of all, it's best way to learn Korean to use children's book and second of all it means 'It is heard~'.

Because a lot of books for children tend to be fairytale or so, they make it more like story instead of essay type!

Hope you finish well and enjoy! :)

Thank you,

Madison, Koreanclass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”