Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A wise man can learn Hangul in a day. where does that put me

squarelight8026
New in Town

A wise man can learn Hangul in a day. where does that put me

Postby squarelight8026 » November 15th, 2011 2:54 am

Haerye says "A wise man can acquaint himself with them before the morning is over; a stupid man can learn them in the space of ten days"

Well I am a fast learner (or I thought so anyways).
I have been studying Hangul for about 6 months or so now; but only speaking.
I never learned how to read or wright. I am at a point where I feel I can learn so much faster if I was able to read it, and that's where my problem begins.

I joined this site the other day and started my mind numbing study, only to find I can not make 1+1=2... and to add salt to the wound I showed a friend my worksheets (he has never studied any Korean) and he was able to understand it with in 5 minutes....
I am person that has no problem picking up new things and running with them, but this is something that is giving me gray hair before my time.

I really don't know where to go from here....

dmclean6354604
Been Around a Bit

Postby dmclean6354604 » November 16th, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello,

Before finding KoreanClass101, I found this site:

http://langintro.com/kintro/

This site only really covers Hangul (not much on Korean language as a whole), but does it in a very nice, straightforward manner. I still make mistakes in reading, but overall, I can read it a lot better than I did before. If you reinforce that with lessons here, you'll have a much easier time and can avoid cumbersome romanization.

Good luck!

Get 40% OFF
trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 17th, 2011 9:23 am

Haerye says "A wise man can acquaint himself with them before the morning is over; a stupid man can learn them in the space of ten days"

Please keep in mind that the original statement referred to those whose mother tongue was Korean and not foreign students of Korean.

I am person that has no problem picking up new things and running with them, but this is something that is giving me gray hair before my time.

Haha! After my hair turned gray it all fell out! But it was really Microsoft Windows that did that to me, and not the study of Korean.

Hang in there.

Here is a little consonant chart I made for fun many many years ago, it may help you make some sound-symbol associations in the early stages:

squarelight8026
New in Town

Postby squarelight8026 » November 18th, 2011 7:24 am

thanks for the tip. ^^
after taking a break then listening to some words I know very well; I then looked up the words spelling and found a greater understanding.
and that understanding is.... the names of the words are not worth crap lol.
what was driving me nuts was the fact that ㄱ on the chart = g,k and to listen to them say it sounds kind of like kial; how every its a strong G if not even a Gah.
if anyone ever finds a problem with reading the chart. take my advise DON'T waste your time; instead listen to the words and break it down.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 18th, 2011 10:14 am

Of course the best thing is to learn Hangul without comparing it to anything except itself, however if someone has already learned a phonetic system it is easier said than done.

As with any phonetic system the symbols don't always have the exact same sound in different words or positions in sentences for example the sentence

잘 잤어요 -I slept well

usually the ㅈ in 잘 sounds close to J, but the ㅈ in 잤 sounds a little more like ㅊ or ch, well, to my ears anyway.

squarelight8026
New in Town

Postby squarelight8026 » November 18th, 2011 10:11 pm

trutherous wrote:잘 잤어요 -I slept well

usually the ㅈ in 잘 sounds close to J, but the ㅈ in 잤 sounds a little more like ㅊ or ch, well, to my ears anyway.

Yes, I have seen this in other words; when pulling my hair out lol.
the ㅆ is a trickster much like putting two vowels side by side in English.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”