a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

-가지고

ilwoo214574
New in Town

-가지고

Postby ilwoo214574 » October 25th, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi guys,

I always hear my friends using the suffix "....가지고 ..." like "blah blah 배워 가지고 ... " I feel like it's used as a connective. Is it kind of like, "so"? I'm not talking about its usage as possession like, "with this pen, go write a paper", but as it's used to follow a conjugated verb and serve as some kind fo a connective?

Can somebody please explain this connective, and provide examples? I've been dying to understand how to use it correctly, and I feel like mastering this transition will help my Korean flow better.

Thank you!

jaehwi
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Hello

Postby jaehwi » October 26th, 2011 12:52 am

Hello,

This is Jaehwi from Koreanclass101.com Thanks for asking us.

'가지고' of '배워가지고' is as same as the particle '-서' So you can replace 배워가지고 with 배워서.

You can replace
'먹어가지고' with 먹어서
와가지고 with 와서.

However, the particle 가지고 can be only used for the spoken language. Also some people don't like to hear the particle because it's like slang.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

- Jaehwi / Koreanclass101.com

Get 40% OFF
ilwoo214574
New in Town

Postby ilwoo214574 » October 26th, 2011 5:26 am

Thank you for your reply, I've been waiting to learn about this particle!

So it would make sense for me to say something like, 내가 너무 피고해가지고 못 갈 것 같아 would make sense?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » October 26th, 2011 7:11 am

So it would make sense for me to say something like, 내가 너무 피고해가지고 못 갈 것 같아 would make sense?

"내가 너무 피고해가지고 못 갈 것 같아" meaning 'I don't think I'll be able to go because I am so tired.' but to give a feel for the usage it might be more akin to 'I'm so tired (and stuff) that I don't think I can make it.'

The literal meaning of 가지고 is of course "with" or "to have in possession," however, in the casual speech habit, as your example shows, it can also mean "because of" "on account of" or "and stuff" "something like that" etc.

Your example makes perfect sense. Good job. That example is almost textbook.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”