Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Name translation

dingguya
New in Town

Postby dingguya » May 23rd, 2009 12:46 am

Alexis wrote:I think Korean people just get given western names that sound similar to their Korean names. But, as far as I know, there's really no relation. They're different names.

Indeed, but not always. Sometimes they just choose an English name themselves (my girlfriend's first name is 미진, but she chose Stella as her English name :)

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 23rd, 2009 4:32 am

dingguya wrote:
Alexis wrote:I think Korean people just get given western names that sound similar to their Korean names. But, as far as I know, there's really no relation. They're different names.

Indeed, but not always. Sometimes they just choose an English name themselves (my girlfriend's first name is 미진, but she chose Stella as her English name :)

Whatever. Either way, Korean names and western names are often not related at all.
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

Get 40% OFF
gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » May 23rd, 2009 10:06 am

dingguya wrote:

Indeed...
I also still have to see the link between 경은 and Judy :roll:
Last edited by gillesvdp on November 7th, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 23rd, 2009 3:13 pm

gillesvdp: that is unfortunate! LOL.

You know, in some ways, if you don't have a Korean name and you want one, you're in a better position than those of us who do - you're free to just give yourself whatever name you want - you don't have a name written down on any sort of piece of paper or anything! LOL. I would have loved a nicer Korean name. I don't know why my birth mother gave me the name 윤선... there are much nicer names out there, I think. :P
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » May 24th, 2009 8:43 am

I want a Korean name, too. I'd like Soohyun, but I don't even know if that'd be an acceptable name. It's the name of a character of one of my favourite books when I was little, anyway. I wouldn't want to directly translate my name (that I usually use in real life) as it translates to "Yes, small" in English.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 24th, 2009 12:25 pm

my name (when i shorten it to two syllables) either becomes amy or translates to mother. sad. i've been thinking about a korean name and have narrowed it down, but even if i decide on one, no one will call me that anyway. it's ok. 에밀리 is quite fun as well. i feel quite special when i hear 에밀리언니 ^^
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » May 24th, 2009 12:46 pm

Chriss wrote:I want a Korean name, too. I'd like Soohyun, but I don't even know if that'd be an acceptable name. It's the name of a character of one of my favourite books when I was little, anyway. I wouldn't want to directly translate my name (that I usually use in real life) as it translates to "Yes, small" in English.

수현 is definitely an acceptable name, that's the name of one of my friends
Last edited by gillesvdp on November 7th, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » May 24th, 2009 2:09 pm

I had a Korean name at first, it helped me to be accepted by my (then) future family in law. It was 영광 which was kind of a translation of my actual name. But now, everybody there calls me just 에릭, which is fine for me as well :)

Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » May 25th, 2009 5:00 am

gillesvdp wrote:
수현 is definitely an acceptable name, that's the name of one of my very good 누나's :)

Thanks. That's good to know. ^^

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 25th, 2009 8:19 am

Alexis - I think 윤선 sounds quite nice really! :)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » May 25th, 2009 10:31 am

shanshanchua wrote:Alexis - I think 윤선 sounds quite nice really! :)

Yeah! I think so as well.

:wink:

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 26th, 2009 12:52 am

LOL, thanks. I guess it's just annoying, 'cause HyunWoo told me it can be used as a guy or girl's name. Which is frustrating, because so can "Alexis". >_< I wish I just had a girl's name! :P
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

Daewi92
New in Town

Postby Daewi92 » May 27th, 2009 11:56 am

Hello my korean name is *** Kyung Sub, I think. I'm adopted. Does my name mean anything? My parents told me that "Sub" means alone or abandon, and that Kyung is the name of the place I was born. Is that true?

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 27th, 2009 3:35 pm

Yay! Another adoptee! ^_^
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » May 28th, 2009 6:43 am

Daewi92 wrote:Hello my korean name is *** Kyung Sub, I think. I'm adopted. Does my name mean anything? My parents told me that "Sub" means alone or abandon, and that Kyung is the name of the place I was born. Is that true?

I can hardly believe this.

First, we never know the meaning of each characters from their sounds only.

Second, the meaning of those hanja characters are not directly related with the meaning of one's name.

Besides, many people who has 'sub' in their name use '燮' and it means 'flame'

:roll:

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”