Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Ewha

matthew254
Expert on Something

Ewha

Postby matthew254 » May 10th, 2008 3:31 am

I plan on attending the short-term intensive language course (3 week) at Ewha in July. I'll post here and give you my thumbs up or thumbs down.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, Ewha DOES accept men during the summer language programs. Not sure about year round, but for sure during the summer...That being said, I'm usually a little hesitant to tell my friends where I'm going...:)

If anyone has experience there, let me know! thanks

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » May 10th, 2008 12:57 pm

I am studying there now. In their Korean Language Program, men certainly attend. I think it's even 50:50

I like it fine, but I am going to really encourage you (if it's not to late) to look into Sogang University. They have an abosultely stellar repuation among foreigners for teaching speaking. I don't know if it will fit your schedule, but do check it out. Ehwa has been OK, but I wouldn't want to do another semester.

http://klec.sogang.ac.kr/

The books made by Sogang are much much more useful. Ehwa's materials are in my opionion nothing to write home about.

If you can't change your plans, don't worry. You will learn alot just by being here.

I feel like I read in antother thread that you've already lived in Korea. Is that right?

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Get 40% OFF
shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 10th, 2008 2:10 pm

Austin - are the Sogang materials only available for those who attend their programs?

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 10th, 2008 7:57 pm

austinfd wrote:I feel like I read in another thread that you've already lived in Korea. Is that right?

I have visited there just once for a month two years ago.

It's funny that you say that because Sogang was my first choice but I couldn't fit them into my schedule. I'm actually doing a summer session here at UNT and as soon as that's over I'm heading out to Korea - and as soon as that's done I gotta come back. crazy hectic.

austinfd wrote:If you can't change your plans, don't worry. You will learn alot just by being here.

I hear you on that. You know, I'm not sure exactly what I'm expecting - I mean, it is only for three weeks. Anything will be helpful, but I'm not expecting to get on "Misuda" anytime soon....

I appreciate your honesty! I'll definitely make Sogang a priority next time I come over - schedule should be more freed up by then.

shanshanchua wrote:are the Sogang materials only available for those who attend their programs?

I was pretty sure that that big bookstore sells them over the counter and that as logn as you had the ISBN, you could order them...man I'm drawing a blank on the name, title, author here. Anyone remember who wrote the textbooks for Sogang?
Last edited by matthew254 on March 21st, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 10th, 2008 11:54 pm

Are the ones listed on here the most up to date?

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » May 11th, 2008 4:46 am

javiskefka wrote:Are the ones listed on here the most up to date?

Yes.. and anyone can buy any of those books. They are all for sale at most large bookstores.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 11th, 2008 3:43 pm

austinfd wrote:Yes.. and anyone can buy any of those books. They are all for sale at most large bookstores.

You're talking about bookstores in Korea right? Do they do international orders???

Do the books start from the most elementary level?

Thanks!

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 11th, 2008 9:25 pm

Hanbooks has them. Of course there is some markup, though. For example, the GANADA books that I have are marked at 20,000 Won, but you must pay $32 + $5 shipping for them on Hanbooks.

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 12th, 2008 12:59 pm

Do the books start from the most elementary level?

I can speak for the KLEAR series from the university of hawaii - those are pretty good - as long as you buy the workbook along with them. But in truth, Premium members on this website have access to the same elementary level stuff as that textbook series. Not to sound like a product placement or anything, but coming from someone with a library of over 30 titles in Korean language learning, the premium learning center has all the good parts of the books and more - let alone the podcasts themselves.
Sometimes you can find used books from ex-pats living in Korea in some forums like these. unfortunately, the shipping to the states is murder so hanbooks is probably your best bet if the book isn't available on amazon

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 12th, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks for pointing out that Hanbooks has the books. But I probably wouldn't order from them unless I don't have any other option. The thing is, I live in Asia (Singapore), and their international shipping is expensive. And it's kind of silly to order a Korean book from the US and have it shipped all the way here, when it's probably much cheaper to ship it directly from Korea to Singapore! Only problem is I don't have enough Korean to order from Korean online bookstores, and they might not do international deliveries either.

But Matthew brought out a good point, that premium members have a lot of resources in the KC101 Learning Centre. I haven't fully utilised the grammar banks or the exercises. But it's nice to have a textbook/workbook to go through and to be able to refer to it readily when I need to. I'll think about it some more before I do any ordering.

Many thanks! :)

meibao
New in Town

Postby meibao » May 20th, 2008 7:34 am

shanshanchua - Like you, I live in Singapore. I found this site called Seoul Selection. They offer the books at an even lower rate than HanBooks and they are based in Korean so their shipping rates are also somewhat cheaper.

Can anyone recommend which textbooks (preferrably with workbooks) I should get to have as a supplement to my ongoing Korean lessons? I'm torn between Yonsei, Sogang and EHWA. I'm looking to eventually be able to say write and read in Korean - though just simple composition like a letter.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 20th, 2008 8:46 am

Thanks Meibao!! It's great that there's such a online shop based in Korea. The shipping is still quite expensive, but at least it's cheaper than Hanbooks! :)

How else are you learning Korean besides being at KC101?

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » May 20th, 2008 11:48 pm

I don't have experience with low-level Ewha books, but I suspect the design is similar to my intermediate text. It is OK if you are in a class, but the book is completely useless on it's own.

As far as Yonsei, I did buy one of their books last year (I'm not sure which series, I think there are many) and it is slightly better, as it includes an English explanation of the grammar (but that's sometimes sloppy!)

Sogang's books are really well designed. I recently bought level 3A workbook and student book, and feel that I could use it entirely on my own. There are some activities in the student book that are designed to do with a classmate, so maybe you can do them with some friends, but the student book also includes a CD with LOTS of great dialogs in it

Most textbook series include a workbook and a student book. In the case of Sogang, it is worth it to buy both

meibao
New in Town

Postby meibao » May 21st, 2008 1:22 am

shanshanchua wrote:
How else are you learning Korean besides being at KC101?

I take classes at a CC - my teacher is a Korean - and I also got myself "Read & Write Korean for Beginners" which is not bad but it's a little on the thin side.

austinfd wrote:
Most textbook series include a workbook and a student book. In the case of Sogang, it is worth it to buy both

Thanks for the advice austinfd. Will check out whether my local Borders has it, if not I'll looking into getting it online.

umi1978
New in Town

Postby umi1978 » May 21st, 2008 2:13 am

meibao wrote:
I take classes at a CC - my teacher is a Korean - and I also got myself "Read & Write Korean for Beginners" which is not bad but it's a little on the thin side.

Hi Meibao,
I live in Singapore too. Which CC did you attend your Korean Class?
Is the class good?

Return to “Working & Studying in Korea (한국에서 일하거나 공부하기)”