Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Je vs. Jeo

nicerhugs1286
New in Town

Je vs. Jeo

Postby nicerhugs1286 » November 10th, 2010 5:31 am

I am sick today, and I asked my Korean coworker if I can say, 'jeo-neun apayo'?" She said it's better to say, "Je-ga mani apayo". The mani I understand to be like very, as in "I'm very sick." But the je-ga vs. jeo-neun I don't understand, and she wasn't able to explain to me. Can anyone explain? Sorry I don't have the Hangeul on this post, but my computer at work types only with the Roman alphabet.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 10th, 2010 8:29 am

'jeo-neun apayo'?" She said it's better to say, "Je-ga mani apayo".

What a cool Korean co-worker -- I wish I had such a helpful Korean co-worker .. but my Korean co-worker is what we call a "banana" or "twinkie" -- that is 'yellow on the outside and white on the inside,' so it is more likely he learns Korean from me. hahaha

While the eun/nun (jeo-neun) particle is a subject particle, it is also a contrast particle "jeo-neun apayo" I, as opposed to someone else, am ill/sick/hurt.

Whereas i/ga is a true subject particle, "Je-ga mani apayo" - "I am very sick/ill" as a rule of thumb "mani" can be thought of as "many" or "a lot" (i.e. 'very).

Join by May 6th
nicerhugs1286
New in Town

Postby nicerhugs1286 » November 11th, 2010 3:59 am

cool, thanks. still i'm a bit confused, why does jeo change to just je with the subject marker i/ga?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » November 11th, 2010 8:00 am

hahaha I was hoping you wouldn't ask that question yes there is a hidden possessive "의" added (as near as I can tell it might originally mean "regarding me" when in reference to self) so that 나 + 의 becomes "내" and 저 + 의 becomes "제" in the possessive sense before use of the subject particle '가,' when in reference to one's self. :D ..and knowing that will likely be of no help at all in actually speaking Korean... this is one of the many things you just have to hear 1000 times and have it sink into the subconscious.

nicerhugs1286
New in Town

Postby nicerhugs1286 » November 11th, 2010 11:53 pm

hahah!! sorry, didn't mean to ask a difficult question! so any time i use "ga" for self rather than "neun" i have to use je, basically? jeo-ga just doesn't exist?

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello nicerhugs1286,

Postby timandyou » November 12th, 2010 1:35 am

Hello nicerhugs1286,
about your question between 'jeo-neun apayo'? and "Je-ga mani apayo"? Between je-ga vs. jeo-neun

First, I am sorry for you "I am sick today".
Hope my explanation makes you feel better...

Second, about 저는 아파요 (jeo-neun apayo) is totally fine (in my opinion).
However, 제가 많이 아파요 (je-ga man-i apayo) sounds more... like 'pitiable'.

Third, about "I".
"I" can be translated as 나 (na) in INFORMAL Korean and 저 (jeo) in FORMAL Korean.
so, it becomes... 나는 (na-neun) or 저는 (jeo-neun).
But, here is one more thing to know about... when you add 'POSSESSIVE PRONOUN' - 의 (ui) to them, they become...like
나 (na) + 의 (ui) = 내 (nae) in INFORMAL, which literally means "my". For example, you would say "내 컴퓨터" (nae keom-pyu-teo) "my computer" to your younger sibling or close Korean friends.
저 (jeo) + 의 (ui) = 제 (je) in FORMAL, which literally means "my" as well. For example, you would say "제 컴퓨터" (je keom-pyu-teo) "my computer" to your elder sibling or parents or parents or your boss at the office.

Last, these - 내(nae) and 제(je) - can be used for the SUBJECT as well.
For examples, 나는 아파 (na-neun apa) "I am sick" = 내가 아파 (nae-ga apa) "I am sick" (when talking to your K-friends)
저는/저가 많이 아파요 (jeo-ga man-i apayo) "I am very sick" = 제가 많이 아파요 (je-ga man-i apayo) "I am very sick" (when talking to your boss).

Yes, the most polite expression would be "제가 많이 아파요".
That's why your co-worker recommended you to say like that.
Remember this - 제 (je) is "my" in FORMAL Korean but, it can be used for the SUBJECT "I" in FORMAL Korean.
Hope my explanation helps you understand Korean.
cheers,

Tim 8)

nicerhugs1286
New in Town

Postby nicerhugs1286 » November 12th, 2010 4:55 am

thank you thank you, 알았어요! is there any grammatical explanation for why the possessive can become a subject, or is that just something i have to take as it is?

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello nicerhugs1286,

Postby timandyou » November 12th, 2010 6:39 am

There is!
Please give it a listen to Absolute Beginner Season 2 Lesson #6.
I do think this lesson really helps you understand about 'possessive adjective' and 'pronoun'.
Hope to meet you throughout the lesson.
by the way, I created that lesson myself.
cheers,

Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”