Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Reading Hangul?

timess58008
New in Town

Reading Hangul?

Postby timess58008 » October 15th, 2010 8:15 am

Hey, I'm new here and I have been going through some of the lessons both Audio and Video. I tried taking the Quizzes with failure when it came to the Hangul, along with that the Hangul in the video lessons I think are coming at me a bit too fast. Is there a helpful way, or an easier way in learning how to read it? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » October 15th, 2010 8:35 am

Hello Timess - nice to meet you -- I am George, a fellow student here at KC101.

Have you looked at the Hangul basics under the Reference Materials? There are charts with audio and visual. Other than repetition in hearing, seeing, writing, and speaking, I cannot think of any easy way to learn a phonetic writing system. Remember you did not learn the ABC's overnight. Hang in there.

Here is a little something I did for the consonants to help create a mental bond between the phonetic consonant symbols, I call it Hangul-morphing:

Get 40% OFF
timess58008
New in Town

Postby timess58008 » October 15th, 2010 8:55 am

Hey George! It's nice to meet you as well.

And yes, I have looked through those with the charts with the audio and visual, it doesn't seem to sink in though. But I think I see where you are getting at, maybe I'm just in this rush to learn. Haha, I'm so at fault on this. But I have been trying to learn the consonants for awhile now, those have been the block really. The vowels aren't all too hard for me. Thank You for this and thank you for the morphing Hangul list. I am sure that this will get me on track of thing.

dustin2010
Been Around a Bit

Postby dustin2010 » October 15th, 2010 7:42 pm

Hey timess welcome to the forum! I'm Dustin, i just recently joined the KC101 forum.

That was pretty cool; I've never seen that chart before.

instead of audio/visual learning, If you haven't already tried it, you might like writing it over repeatedly.

I learned it this way ...

ㄱ(g)... ㄱ(g), ㄴ(n)... ㄱ(g) ㄴ(n) ㅈ(j)... And I just continue through the all of them adding another character each time. This way you also learn to write them.

You don't have to use the "( )" if you know them already what sound they make.

Sorry if you already tried this. I just highly recommend it because I was able to learn hangul and hiragana(japanese) fast this way.

I was in a rush too and it worked for me. I also found distractions, as long as they aren't too long, were beneficial too. Well in front of the tv was mine. When something came on I watched it for few minutes then during a commercial, i rewrote what I could. Which just helped me prove that they stuck even after a distraction and break from writing them.

hope this helps, keep trying, you will get it

Dustin

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » October 16th, 2010 7:30 am

Yikes this is embarrassing but here is my version of a Korean alphabet song for the consonants: http://www.korstudent.net/k-alpha.ogg (I created this song as a study aide back in 1984) 가 나 다 라 마 ... 바 사 아 자 차 ... 카 타 파 하 .. .. 다시 말 해 봐 .. .. 가 나 다 라 마 ... 바 사 아 자 차 ... 카 타 파 하 .. . 끝난다

아 야 어 여 오 요 우 유 으 이

oh -- slight mistake "다시 말 해 봐" means 'say it again' or 'try saying it again' in the intimate style... but does not imply 'please' unless you add '요' or change it to 보세요 ... I wasn't about to record the whole silly thing over just for that.. gahh.. I can only stand so much of my own voice.. :x

have a lot of fun

This is an audio file and the codecs for .ogg will be necessary to hear it.

:lol:

timess58008
New in Town

Postby timess58008 » October 19th, 2010 10:30 am

Yes, thank you both for all that. I'm slowly learning and memorizing the alphabet already, so it won't be long now until I start with the harder stuff. Thank you again.

SeeingLifeAnew
Been Around a Bit

Postby SeeingLifeAnew » October 19th, 2010 2:51 pm

That is great, trutherous!! Thank you so much for posting your song!!!! :)

trutherous wrote:Yikes this is embarrassing but here is my version of a Korean alphabet song for the consonants: http://www.korstudent.net/k-alpha.ogg (I created this song as a study aide back in 1984) 가 나 다 라 마 ... 바 사 아 자 차 ... 카 타 파 하 .. .. 다시 말 해 봐 .. .. 가 나 다 라 마 ... 바 사 아 자 차 ... 카 타 파 하 .. . 끝난다

아 야 어 여 오 요 우 유 으 이

oh -- slight mistake "다시 말 해 봐" means 'say it again' or 'try saying it again' in the intimate style... but does not imply 'please' unless you add '요' or change it to 보세요 ... I wasn't about to record the whole silly thing over just for that.. gahh.. I can only stand so much of my own voice.. :x

have a lot of fun

This is an audio file and the codecs for .ogg will be necessary to hear it.

:lol:

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello SeeingLifeAnew, timess58008, trutherous, dustin2010,

Postby timandyou » October 20th, 2010 12:43 am

:P :P :P
"Oh~~boy, George~~!"
You did an excellent job on your audio file. ^^
하하~~ ... "다시 말해봐~" ... "끝난다~~"
하하~~ cheers,

Tim 8)

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”