a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

[photo] 불닭(fire chicken) - one of the hottest Korean dis

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

[photo] 불닭(fire chicken) - one of the hottest Korean dis

Postby hyunwoo » August 22nd, 2007 6:45 am

Do you guys like spicy hot foods?

A lot of people say Kimchi(김치) is spicy hot, but I don't really think so. Not because it's NOT spicy, but because you don't eat too much portion of kimchi for one meal, and you don't eat it alone, but always with rice or something else.

But this dish, 불닭 (bul dag) which literally means fire + chicken, will put the inside of your mouth on fire :D

It's VEEEEEEEEERY good. :D You must try this when you ever come to Korea!

One 불닭 is usually around 12,000 won (roughly 12 USD) but one serving is usually enough for three people.

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 22nd, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm hungryyyyyy!!

Get 40% OFF
steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » August 22nd, 2007 4:50 pm

Is this a traditional dish? It looks very good. It would probably give me the hiccups :oops: .

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 23rd, 2007 5:06 am

It's not really a traditional dish, but it has existed for quite a while now - only it's been a hit for the past few years. :D

It's one of the things that I always recommend my friends to eat when they are in Korea.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » August 23rd, 2007 3:10 pm

불닭 is too crazy for me. I love spicy food. But 불닭 just HURTS me

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 24th, 2007 5:39 am

Haha. I couldn't eat 불닭 without some rice or something else to soothe the pain in my tongue either. :D But after having tried some really really spicy Chinese food, I think I won't have a problem any longer.

SiEd
Expert on Something

Postby SiEd » June 17th, 2008 6:01 pm

불닭... Sounds really good - I love hot and spicy food.

Although I have to apologize beforehand - Balinese food has to be the hottest/spiciest cuisine I know of. Not only do 90% of their dishes contain loads of hot birdeye chilies, they serve extra chilies and chili sauce (which they call sambal) on the side.

And one of their favorite snacks consists simply of a pile of boiled rice, salt, and a Habanero pepper - which they eat in small bites, of course. But that's still intense!

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » June 17th, 2008 6:03 pm

SiEd,

I've never had Balinese food before - I'd love to try some!!! :)

SiEd
Expert on Something

Postby SiEd » June 17th, 2008 6:46 pm

hyunwoo wrote:SiEd,

I've never had Balinese food before - I'd love to try some!!! :)

안녕 현우씨!

This is probably the most famous dish (but not the most _Balinese_ one) there. Here's Anthony Bourdain giving it a lot of praise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlGBJrCDA0Q

The owner's name is probably "Ngurah", not "Nagruya" ;)

-Ed

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » June 17th, 2008 7:07 pm

Wow! Thanks for the link!
It makes me want to go to Bali!!

The pork dish doesn't look anything like I've ever seen before!
And it looks sooo good! :)

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » June 18th, 2008 2:36 am

SiEd wrote:And one of their favorite snacks consists simply of a pile of boiled rice, salt, and a Habanero pepper - which they eat in small bites, of course. But that's still intense!

That sounds delicious!!!!! So simple, but intense :) Would love to try that out

SiEd
Expert on Something

Postby SiEd » June 18th, 2008 3:58 am

A funny anecdote: a traveling group of my Balinese friends (from the troupe Cudamani) immediately fell in love with 삼겹살 when they toured in the US. And there are a couple of Korean restaurants near Denpasar, the provincial capital city of Bali. Haven't tried them out yet, though.

SiEd
Expert on Something

Postby SiEd » June 18th, 2008 4:09 am

And these are probably the most authentic Balinese dishes: lawar (an ultra-spicy meat hash usually made for ceremonies - two of the key ingredients are 고추 and 돼지 피부하고 피 (네, 진짜요!), and sate lilit, sort of like a 발리섬식 꼬치, except that the meat, grated coconut, and spices are ground up into a paste and put on flat, wide sticks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saylows/65521933/

참 맛있겠죠?

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » June 18th, 2008 4:25 am

Hehe. Like it is the case with any kind of food, Korean 삼겹살 is the most delicious when you have it in Korea !! Haha. If you or your friends come to Korea, please let me know - I'll tell you where the best 삼겹살 place is in Seoul : )

And LAWAR looks very delicious! Does the LAWAR mean 꼬치?

SiEd
Expert on Something

Postby SiEd » June 18th, 2008 4:42 am

hyunwoo wrote:Hehe. Like it is the case with any kind of food, Korean 삼겹살 is the most delicious when you have it in Korea !! Haha. If you or your friends come to Korea, please let me know - I'll tell you where the best 삼겹살 place is in Seoul : )

And LAWAR looks very delicious! Does the LAWAR mean 꼬치?

"Lawar" is not the skewered item - that's "sate lilit". Lawar is the reddish salad type item. If you ever go to Bali or Java, please let me know - I'll hook you up with some good people and some good places to go.

I went to a 삼겹살 집 in 신촌 - behind the Hyundai Department store. In which neighborhood is your favorite 삼겹살 집?

Return to “Food & Entertainment (음식과 엔터테인먼트)”