a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Need help making sentences!

yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Need help making sentences!

Postby yostream1235086 » June 9th, 2012 8:33 pm

Hi everyone, :)

I'm currently trying to learn korean, but it's very difficult considering the fact that there is no way for me (other than this one i hope :D) to know whether what I'm writing is correct or not. Google translate is unfortunately not very accurate when it comes to translating korean.

So I'm trying to make simple sentences, using the grammar things I've learnt, but not beeing able to know if what I'm writing is correct is so frustrating, that I've decided to come and try to post here. So here it is :

- 나가 칼로 빵은 단절해요.

I'm trying to say : I cut bread with a knife. (very deep isn't it?).
- So I put the subject marking particle after the "I" to precise I'm the subject.
- I put the particle 로 next to "knife", which, as far as I've understood, should mean : "with a knife"
- Then, maybe I should put an object particle next to the "bread", I don't know.
- And then the verb conjugated with the appropriate tense (I hope).

Also I wanted to know if it was possible to use this topic to post each time I'm having troubles or if I had to make another topic.

Thanks in advance! :)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 9th, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi "yostream",

welcome to KC101

나가 칼로 빵은 단절해요

내가 = I
나는 = I (direct performer of an action or "I" and not someone else)

cut, slice (as in bread) = 썰다

내가 칼로 빵은 썰어요 = I use a knife to cut bread ( nuance using '은' after bread = I don't cut anything else with a knife)

나는 빵을 칼로 썰어요 = I cut bread with a knife.

단절 = to cut or break off relations, as in break off diplomatic relations

Just FYI, there is very little activity on this forum so it may take some time to get feedback from native speakers.
Anyway, I hope you will continue to be active here and help build up the community.

Get 40% OFF
yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Postby yostream1235086 » June 9th, 2012 9:20 pm

Ok thanks for the fast answer,

However there are still some points that I'm not sure about :

If I understood well, I just need to remove the particle '은' after knife and then the sentence will be "correct"? ( = it won't mean anymore that I use knife only to cut bread ).

Is there a particular reason to have changed "나가" to "나는" ?
And to have switched the positions of "knife" and "bread" ?

Anyway, thanks a lot. :)

EDIT : oh I just saw you answered my second question, so "나가" does not mean anything? I thought it was just "I" :D

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 10th, 2012 12:48 am

나는 빵을 칼로 썰어요 - I cut bread with a knife

나는 칼로 빵을 썰어요 - I use a knife to cut bread

The use 이/가 vs 은/는 in distinguishing topic vs subject markers is very tricky, and I'm afraid I cannot adequately explain the proper use, so please refer to the appropriate beginning lessons. A rule of thumb I sometimes use is that if "I am" fits the sentence then the so-called 'topic marker' 은/는 is used. Usually when something/someone performs a direct action, or acts upon an object the performer is marked with 은/는; also, when we want to emphasize the subject by contrast, as in "I, and not someone else," the topic marker 은/는 is used.

Additionally, as if you weren't confused enough already, the topic marker 은/는 is occasionally used like an object marker; in which case its function is to contrast the object, as in 'the action is upon this object, and not another.' But this rarely used construction is awkward, and it is usually best to use the object marker 을/를 when something/someone receives action. In your example sentence bread 빵 should have 을 to show that it receives the action.

a couple oversimplified examples:

내가 그 일을 하겠어요 - I will do that work. (subject marker 가)
나는 그 일을 하겠어요 - I am going to do it. (topic/contrast marker 는) I am the one who is going to do it.

by the way, you did a great job with the particle '로' after knife -- yes '로' means 'by, through, using, by means of

'단절' means to sever or discontinue, as in 'sever off the relationship,' and is the wrong word to use for literally cutting something. In Korean there are several words for cutting, the one generally used for food is 썰다 (with a knife), for hair and cloth '자르다' (with scissors), to trim or cut hair/grass with a mower or trimmer 깎다, someone's flesh with a knife or sword 베다 ... and the list probably goes on and on

some particle fun: (by the way, particles are called 조사 in Korean, also called "post-positions," and are placed after nouns to show their unique grammatical position or function in the sentence)

내가 -I
나는 -I, I am
나를 -me
나의 -my

나에게 -to me
나한테 -to me
나에게서 -from me
나한테서 -from me

로 -to 하교로 -to school 나는 학교로 가요 I am going to school.

에 -to/at/in 학교에 -at/in school 나는 학교에 가요 -I am going to school 그것은 하교에 있어요-It is at the school.

에서 -at/in 학교에서 -at/in school 우리는 학교에서 만났어요 -We met at school.

Keep up the good work! Read 200 short Korean sentences this week, five times each.

yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Postby yostream1235086 » June 10th, 2012 11:02 am

Wow thank you very much for you answer, it helped me a lot understanding how particles work!

yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Postby yostream1235086 » June 10th, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi again :D

I've practiced again today and i would like to know if my sentences are correct. (I hope I'm not bothering you already)

-I see you. (Is it really the verb "to watch", because in this case google translates it as "to look for")
내가 너를 봐요.

-He cleans the table in the kitchen. (Here I wanted to know if the particles are correct or not)
그가 식탁을 부엌에서 청소해요.

-You read a book. (I don't know why, but google translates 책자 to "books" (plural))
네가 책자 읽어요.

By the way, is putting 을 at the end of a word the only thing you have to do to say it's plural?

-Does he go in the kitchen? (Here again, are the particles correct? 에 is used to precise there is a movement right?)
그가 부엌에 가요?

If those are correct, I'll go to the next level :D

Thanks!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 10th, 2012 8:35 pm

I've practiced again today and i would like to know if my sentences are correct. (I hope I'm not bothering you already)

-I see you. (Is it really the verb "to watch", because in this case google translates it as "to look for")
내가 너를 봐요.

-He cleans the table in the kitchen. (Here I wanted to know if the particles are correct or not)
그가 식탁을 부엌에서 청소해요.

-You read a book. (I don't know why, but google translates 책자 to "books" (plural))
네가 책자 읽어요.

By the way, is putting 을 at the end of a word the only thing you have to do to say it's plural?

-Does he go in the kitchen? (Here again, are the particles correct? 에 is used to precise there is a movement right?)
그가 부엌에 가요?

내가 너를 봐요. :arrow: 나는 당신를 봐요 - 나는 is better for your intended meaning because you are saying "I am seeing you." Also, if we are going to use the polite ending "요" then we would use a polite form of the word 'you'(당신) or a person's name or title. Be careful with the use of 보다 because it can also mean 'watch over/taking care of/making an exception for,' and not just 'to see' (it can even mean 'to try' in some cases)

Some other suggestions:
나는 너를 본다 - 나는 너을 보인다 - 나는 너을 보고 있다 - 나는 선생님을 보고 있어요

보인다 - 본다 - see (you)
보고 있다 - seeing (you)
보았다 - 봤다 - saw (you)

그가 식탁을 부엌에서 청소해요 (The particles here look fine to me but the word order makes it look as if he brought the table into the kitchen to clean it. Also Koreans generally use '닦다' when referring to cleaning a table) :arrow: 그가 부억에 있는 식탁을 닦아요 -He cleans the table that is in the kitchen.

네가 책자 읽어요. (we are not going to mix informal and polite when addressing or commenting to that person 네가 does not go with 요 - please choose one style or the other) :arrow: 네가 책을 읽다 / 당신이 책을 읽어요 --now let's see an expression we can actually use '네가 책을 읽구나!' You read books! (wow) 당신이 책을 읽군요!

을/를 doesn't make anything plural -- 을/를 objectifies 나 = me, "me" can receive action e.g. She loves ME -- 그녀는 나 사랑해요. To make many nouns plural in Korean the particle 들 can be used 책들 - books, 사람들 - people, 문제들 - problems; however, some items are already plural, such as the word 'parents' (부모), so when we say 'your parents' we don't use 들 because that would mean 'many sets of parents.'

그가 부엌에 가요? --Perfect! Good job!

We could equally say 그가 부엌으로 가요? Is he going into (toward) the kitchen.

depending on context 에 can mean 'at' a place, 'in' a place, 'to' a place, and it can also indicate a period of time.

Disclaimer:
I am no expert in Korean grammar. There may be errors in my explanations but I have given you the best information possible according to my Knowledge. You may want to Google search to see if there are any sites that specialize in giving corrections by native speakers.

yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Postby yostream1235086 » June 10th, 2012 9:40 pm

Nice, thank you again for your help!

I wasn't aware that the pronouns also had to adapt to the politeness level :D (or I rather forgot)
Concerning the plural thing, I did a typing error I actually wanted to write 들, but you answered my question anyway ! :)

Right now, I think the biggest problem is my lack of vocabulary, which makes me use the wrong words, so I will have to work on that.

Btw, your suggestions and examples are very helpful too!

Again, I can't thank you enough :)

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » June 11th, 2012 4:39 am

Hi yostream1235086,

We are glad to hear that you have found something new this time!:D

Always thanks to trutherous as well :)

Vocabularies definitely help when it comes to language!

Maybe you could start from many ways to get exposed like Korean movies, dramas, music, or even books if you like!:)

I think it's always the best way if culture could go with it ;)

Also let us know anytime if you have questions

Thank you

Madison
Koreanclass101.com

yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Postby yostream1235086 » June 11th, 2012 11:02 am

Hi,

In fact beeing able to understand dramas is one of my goals, but I'm pretty sure I won't understand a word if I try to watch one now :D
Maybe if you know one which is easy to follow, I may try to watch it! :D

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 11th, 2012 8:30 pm

In fact beeing able to understand dramas is one of my goals, but I'm pretty sure I won't understand a word if I try to watch one now

When it comes to learning language the plain and simple fact is that we don't really understand anything the first time we hear it, so the key is to hear something many times from a variety of sources.

jaehwi

Postby jaehwi » June 12th, 2012 1:33 am

Hello again,

yes, I agree with trutherous.
If you are in the learning process, although things won't make much sense at the beginning, if you get constant exposure to it, somehow your brain starts to decipher all the scrambled sounds into sounds that actually start to make sense! It may be just a few words at the beginning, but as you keep learning more and more, the more words you can recognize!

So study hard and keep up the good work!

Stefania/KoreanClass101.com

yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Postby yostream1235086 » June 12th, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks!
I think I will try watching Heroes :)

jaehwi

Postby jaehwi » June 13th, 2012 1:15 am

Yes yostream1235086!
That's the spirit!

Of course if you have any questions, you can always ask them here and we will help you :D

Stefania/KoreanClass101.com

yostream1235086
Been Around a Bit

Postby yostream1235086 » June 15th, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi I'm back with some more questions! :D

I've been trying to make a little bit more complex sentences, but I'm not always sure of what I'm doing :?

-He's looking for my car.
그가 내차를 찾고 있어요.

-I bought a beautiful beeing house. (I bought a house which is beautiful)
내가 아름다운있는 집을 샀어요.

I know you would rather use an adjective in this case but I wanted to try making relative clauses. I'm pretty sure this is wrong though.

-I had to do it.
내가 그것을 해야 됐어요.

-Tommorrow, I will have to borrow your car .
내일, 내가 당신의 차를 빌려야 돠겠어요.

I'm pretty sure this one if wrong too, I tried to combine "have to" and the future tense and the result seems to be kind of strange...
(And google does not understand it)

-I'm studying at school with my teacher.
내가 내 선생님과 학교에서 공부하고 있어요.

Here I'm not sure if "과" can be used to say "with" instead of "and". I don't want to say what we are studying something together, but that I study and he explains me. (I don't know how to explain it, hopefully you will understand)
Another exemple :

내가 당신과 있고 싶어요. I want to be with you. (?)

And if it is not possible to use it as "with", how would you say it?

-She likes selling rice and buying bread.
그녀가 밥을 팔기과 빵을 사기 좋아해요.

I wanted to try using the "기" thing to make a verb become a noun. But I think the structure is not really correct.

Thanks in advance! :)

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”