Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

sentence structure

John
Expert on Something

Re: sentence structure

Postby John » February 8th, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks yhenry again for taking time to explain what is what here, I admit I am searching and learning what I should have paid better attention to in High school, but your post is really helping me put things in order. I have never been a good student so please bear with me.

I am having to learn what we call what in English, but as I do I am slowly realizing how I should put Korean sentences together.
I know this post makes me sound pretty uneducated, but I never really thought about why I would ever need to know what a predicate or adverb, etc. was. And truthfully until now I don't think I would ever really have needed to know.

Sorry if I came off rude before, I was just frustrated with my own lack of English knowledge, I guess.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 8th, 2009 10:02 pm

real quick sentence order is...... subject-adverb-adjective-noun-verb wait wheres the object go?

Get 40% OFF
yhenry
Expert on Something

Re: sentence structure

Postby yhenry » February 8th, 2009 10:03 pm

John wrote:Thanks yhenry again for taking time to explain what is what here, I admit I am searching and learning what I should have paid better attention to in High school, but your post is really helping me put things in order. I have never been a good student so please bear with me.

I am having to learn what we call what in English, but as I do I am slowly realizing how I should put Korean sentences together.
I know this post makes me sound pretty uneducated, but I never really thought about why I would ever need to know what a predicate or adverb, etc. was. And truthfully until now I don't think I would ever really have needed to know.

Sorry if I came off rude before, I was just frustrated with my own lack of English knowledge, I guess.

John,

I don't know much about Korean grammar just like you don't know much about your English grammar.
We both don't need to learn the grammar rules to speak; we just do.

I happened to know those grammar terms because I had to study English grammar in order to read and understand English.

Some smart Korean people can learn English just by hearing or reading, and memorizing.
I don't have such a super brain, so I had to analyze sentences to understand the functions of each word in it to understand the meaning of the sentence.
By doing that, I was able to memorize easier.
And, of course easier to write once I got the basic sentence pattern understood.

Different people have many different ways to learn, but that is the way I do and working for me.

If you find it may work for you, you can count me in to do the study together.

I am not Korean major and never been to a college but I can learn Korean grammar a lot easier and faster than you because I am native Korean speaker.

I have already studied English grammar so I have no problem to read and understand.
My problem is with the usage, that is, natural expression.
I can't memorize all those expressions different from Korean equivalents and recall in time for use.

If you want to try me, I am with you.
I am a forever ESL student.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 8th, 2009 10:29 pm

Subject 1st

To determine the subject of a sentence, first isolate the verb and then make a question by placing "who?" or "what?" before it -- the answer is the subject.

Object 2nd

A verb may be followed by an object that completes the verb's meaning. Two kinds of objects follow verbs: direct objects and indirect objects. To determine if a verb has a direct object, isolate the verb and make it into a question by placing "whom?" or "what?" after it. The answer, if there is one, is the direct object:

An indirect object (which, like a direct object, is always a noun or pronoun) is, in a sense, the recipient of the direct object. To determine if a verb has an indirect object, isolate the verb and ask to whom?, to what?, for whom?, or for what? after it. The answer is the indirect object.

Adverb 3rd Adjective 4th

A modifier can be an adjective, an adverb, or a phrase or clause acting as an adjective or adverb In every case, the basic principle is the same: the modifier adds information to another element in the sentence.

Noun 5th

Person, place or thing.

Verb 6th

Action .

Does this sound right?

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 8th, 2009 10:37 pm

John wrote:real quick sentence order is...... subject-adverb-adjective-noun-verb wait wheres the object go?

There are many different sentence patterns.

The most common patterns are 1. Subject + predicate, that is, subject + Be verb (is, are, or am) or adjective predicate 2. Subject + Object + Verb 3. Subject + modifiers + Verb.

Examples;

1. 나는 학생이다 Subject + Predicate (noun+be)
나*는 (I) = 학생 (student)이다 (is)
이다 is the suffix working as 'is'.
**subject marker 는 marks 나 as subject.

나는 = 슬프다(adjective) I am sad.
** in adjective predicate case, we don't need 'be' verb because the adjective ending assumes all.

2. 나는 밥을 먹었다 Subject + Object + Verb
나*는 (I) 밥*을 (MEAL) 먹었다 (ATE)
** object marker 을 marks 밥 as object.

3. 나는 빨리 간다 Subject + verb
나는 (noun) 빨리 (adverb) 간다 (verb)

There are more, but those are basics you need to know as a beginner.

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » February 8th, 2009 11:30 pm

yhenry: Thanks for always putting so much effort into your replies and explanations. ^_^ Learning different languages can be so confusing, simply because they're all SO different! I feel like I'm definitely getting the hang of Korean, though. Not REALLY well or anything, but I'm getting there bit by bit!!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 8th, 2009 11:42 pm

John wrote:Subject 1st

To determine the subject of a sentence, first isolate the verb and then make a question by placing "who?" or "what?" before it -- the answer is the subject.

In Korean, those subject markers help you pick on subject.

Object 2nd

A verb may be followed by an object that completes the verb's meaning. Two kinds of objects follow verbs: direct objects and indirect objects. To determine if a verb has a direct object, isolate the verb and make it into a question by placing "whom?" or "what?" after it. The answer, if there is one, is the direct object:

Same function in Korean, but the object comes before verb in Korean.

Subject + Object + Verb

Again, they accompany object markers.

An indirect object (which, like a direct object, is always a noun or pronoun) is, in a sense, the recipient of the direct object. To determine if a verb has an indirect object, isolate the verb and ask to whom?, to what?, for whom?, or for what? after it. The answer is the indirect object.

Korean indirect Object come with '에게'

Adverb 3rd Adjective 4th

A modifier can be an adjective, an adverb, or a phrase or clause acting as an adjective or adverb In every case, the basic principle is the same: the modifier adds information to another element in the sentence.

Yes, Korean adjective comes before the noun it modifies, unless it is used as predicate, and of course adverb comes before verb because the verb comes last.

Noun 5th
Person, place or thing.
Verb 6th
Action .
Does this sound right?

Sounds good to me.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 9th, 2009 9:44 pm

Subject+marker or / or

Object+marker or

Indirect Object+marker or

Adverb

Noun

Verb

just posted this for my own well being
Last edited by John on February 11th, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 11th, 2009 2:32 am

Subject+marker 이 or 가 and 는 or 은

Object+marker 을 or 를

Do you have memory laps like I do?

Are you over the hill like me? hehe

Please don't mix them up.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 11th, 2009 12:17 pm

I fixed it, I think. And yes my memory does lapse. :lol:

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 13th, 2009 3:30 pm

I have been going thru the 'Grammar points' in the premium side, and let me just say I am so glad that I am a premium member now! Everything I was asking here and beating myself up about is all right there. I must give thanks to all the effort that is put into the "extras" in K-Class! Everything is coming together nicely in my head right now. I am also dreaming in Korean again, and if you haven't dreamed in a "foreign" language before, let me tell you it's a treat. I guess that's really the only time I get to use Korean anyway, lol.

Anyway I am very jazzed about learning again, I am making progress, and if not speaking at least I can interpret what I am hearing a lot easier now.
:D

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 13th, 2009 3:40 pm

John wrote:I have been going thru the 'Grammar points' in the premium side, and let me just say I am so glad that I am a premium member now! Everything I was asking here and beating myself up about is all right there. I must give thanks to all the effort that is put into the "extras" in K-Class! Everything is coming together nicely in my head right now. I am also dreaming in Korean again, and if you haven't dreamed in a "foreign" language before, let me tell you it's a treat. I guess that's really the only time I get to use Korean anyway, lol.

Anyway I am very jazzed about learning again, I am making progress, and if not speaking at least I can interpret what I am hearing a lot easier now.
:D

Hynwoo must be happy hearing your excitement.

Please share what you have learned.
Teaching is learning, too.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 13th, 2009 4:45 pm

I wouldn't dare try to teach anything yet. There would be a' blind leading the blind' situation going on.

yhenry
Expert on Something

Postby yhenry » February 13th, 2009 4:47 pm

John wrote:I wouldn't dare try to teach anything yet. There would be a' blind leading the blind' situation going on.

You can teach what you know, no more no less.

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”