Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

pronouncing certain letters

victoria.nguyen_230216
New in Town

pronouncing certain letters

Postby victoria.nguyen_230216 » January 17th, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi everyone! I have been learning Korean for a little while, but I’m still not sure when I should be pronouncing ㄹ as R or L, ㄷ as D or T,ㅂ as B or P, and ㄱ as G or K.

I researched a little and was wondering if someone could clarify if what i put below is correct?

ㅂ makes a p sound if it is at the end of the syllable, if there is a vowel after ㅂ it would sound like a b, and if its in the beginning then it would sound closer to p.

ㄱ makes a g sound when it is directly before a vowel, while it makes a k sound when it is directly before a consonant, and that it makes a k sound when it is at the beginning of the word and more of a g in the middle of the word.

ㄷ is more like a t in the beginning, while it makes a d sound in the middle of the word

ㄹ is usually r when it is the first consonant in a syllable, before ㅇ, before ㅎ,

ㄹ is usually L when it is followed by a consonant, two ㄹ are next to each other, and if ㄴ andㄹ are next to each other

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: pronouncing certain letters

Postby community.korean » January 22nd, 2016 2:01 am

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for commenting! We have a series of pronunciation lessons if you would like to take a look:

http://www.koreanclass101.com/2008/10/21/lesson-1

The consonant 'ㅂ' makes a 'b' sound when used at the beginning of a syllable, for example: 봐 (bwa)
When it is used as a batchim, it takes on the 'p' sound if there is no other word following it. Example: '밥' (bap)
However, if a word follows the batchim 'ㅂ', it takes on the 'b' sound'. Example: 밥이 맛있어요. (Babi Mashisyo)

When the consonant 'ㄱ' is used in front of a word (directly before a vowel), it takes a 'g' sound. Example: 가 (ga).
When it is used as a batchim it takes on the 'k' sound. Example: 각도 (gakdo)

The consonant 'ㄷ' sounds like a 'd' in the beginning and middle of a word. (The consonant 'ㅌ' takes on a 't' sound when used in the beginning of a word(and directly before a vowel)).
If 'ㄷ' it is used as a batchim it takes on the 't' sound. Example: 닫다 (datta)

The consonant 'ㄹ' is tricky as its pronunciation doesn't exist in English. It is a sound between 'L' and 'R'. 'Love' is written as '러브' but 'robe' is written as '로브'.

Finally, could you give me some examples (words) of what you are discussing in the comment below so that I can give you a better answer:

"ㄹ is usually L when it is followed by a consonant, two ㄹ are next to each other, and if ㄴ andㄹ are next to each other"

Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
ankitaindustries786_230610
New in Town

Re: talc powder

Postby ankitaindustries786_230610 » March 22nd, 2016 8:24 am

Talc is used in the production of the materials that are widely used in the building interiors such as base content paints in wall coatings. Other areas that utilize talc to a great extent are organic agriculture, food industry, cosmetics, and hygiene products such as baby powder and detergent powder.
Ankita Industries” is a leading manufacturer of Talc Powder in India. We have our own mine of Talc and micronizer plant with In-house laboratory for quality control.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 95&fref=nf

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”